SOPA : Indian Version + Censorship on Hubpages

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (23 posts)
  1. skyfire profile image75
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

After 6th feb most of the social networks will be forced to censor or remove any content that is in conflict with religion and indian politics.

http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/intern … 744348.ece

So my question is that if someone reports name of hubpages and it's properties to department of telecommunication in india to put HP under censor, are you going to cancel our ad program involvement and block india because of that ? OR you'll just take off non-religious content that affects sentiments of our so-called innocent religious hubbers who sell snake oil stuff,astrology subscription or lockets or placebo stuff on Hubpages?

I see the second option depending on revenue opps If they in anyway exist from Indian hubbers (to which I doubt compared to other high cpm countries).

So freedom of speech is as good as dead thanks to our government.

I no longer be saying this in real life or online -"I disagree with you but I would defend to death for your freedom of speech, even if it's personal attack to me". I lost my right because of few  political lunatics so it's useless to say this from now on. Sure sky isn't falling for those who are religious or hardly post anything critical from this country but in the long term freedom of speech is lost.

Just my 2 cents.

1. lobobrandon profile image82
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hmm I have no clue.. Hope nothing as u stated!!

skyfireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Basically if you're religious and if you think government from any party is always right then this change means nothing to you. If you don't then you're going to miss many parts of the internet due to this type of censorship.

Just to show you the gravity of this situation.

Reliance is going to block almost every file sharing network before releasing any new movie in theaters in assumption that this avoids piracy. This action includes sites that host linux torrents. You can Google for more on this.

Do check the link in my first post. Basically this is political censorship plan pushed by using the religious sentiments issue.

I'm not religious and no ones always right especially hmm u know.
          But, you think the people are going to sit quiet? - I don't
          Ya I read the post big_smile

I don't know people in our country even value freedom speech, So It's hard to see reversal of this bill. It's end of the open internet as we know it.

It won't be. Students are the ones who flock Social networks mostly in India so definitely they'll oppose this bill. But, for any strong opposition a political stance is required but that's absent as students don't have a party!

What makes me feel like living in prison is that Americans can freely take shot on their president and indians are not even free to pass mildly critical comment about any politician in india. If we do, we'll land up in nearest cell. Just look at number of anti-obama or ron paul or jesus or (insert mega corp name) thread posted in hubpages, Surely our freedom was always limited and deceptively controlled.

sad sad but true

1. profile image57
                    geordmcposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So, stand up and fight. Or just be a bunch of little girls and go cry to mommy! If you want your freedom fight for it.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image59
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ron Paul is adamantly fighting against SOPA.

I suggest that you consider him for president since he's the only one up there fighting against it.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe Skyfire is from India?

Yes skyfire is form India. But no matter where it begins it will spread across the globe so there needs to be a stop somewhere

1. profile image0

I totally agree! Although it seems that the excuse for censorship varies from country to country.

Ya that's true. But isn't it surprising that it's spreading across the globe? The same way if its stopped somewhere it should hopefully spread like wild fire. The seed should be destroyed before it's planted. But in this case it's already planted and hence the plant will have to be uprooted and thrown into the wild fire I mentioned big_smile

1. profile image0

Yes, that is weird I agree.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image59

more than one person who disagrees with SOPA will likely read the forum.

And contributions to a candidate do not have to come from a US citizen.

2. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

This sounds awful I have heard nothing in our press about it at the moment, I will try to read more about it soon.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image59

There's a reason the press isn't talking about it:

1) it's a bit boring
      2) people who still watch the news don't care about the internet because they're old
      3) The press will benefit from the SOPA rulings (or, at least, their idiot CEOs think they will benefit)

2. skyfire profile image75

It is awful as it limits free thinking. This country is still in pre-victorian era and only thing that can slow this down is the process of implementation of the law itself. It takes atleast 10-15 years for many simple cases to resolve in court so there is still hope and free thinkers can fight it. Problem here is that government and the entertainment industry is waiting for a chance to put censor on everything that they think is wrong. They're just using anti-religious sentiments stuff as a excuse to enforce this law.

You'll be surprised to see how much Indian censor board edits hollywood or any other foreign media before broadcasting. It is ironic to see that many regional TV series in India put thoughts of Marital affair, abuse and criminal activity in the form of entertainment and at the same time they put strong censor over foreign media for the same type of content.

India and US share same set of Multinational Corps which follow rules of both government. Entertainment industry lobby is more strong in United states and India, so it's obvious that SOPA's Indian version will not vary much other than extended input of so-called protection of religious sentiments and activist censorship.

It was pitched at the same time when SOPA was conceptually released in US. If this law gets finalized in individual state courts (which is still pending) then It'll affect freedom of speech of non-religious folks, free thinkers, activists and media.

Only Big G and similar other top 500 corps can fight it as they'll lose many users and in turn revenue if such law gets passed in India( and in turn rest of Asia).

3. Reality Bytes profile image71
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

A unification of People is feared by any Government which wants to control and restrain the population.  Civil discussions result in exactly this form of unity therefore the biggest fear to the controlling elite is a world in which the people are free to discuss and exchange ideas.

They will take away this ability, for our own safety!  Yeah Right!

It has begun, I'm not the only one!

4. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

http://www.sunday-guardian.com/technolo … murky-past

This seems to be quite a good explanation ofwhat is happening, and has been happening, in India.

Oh great will go through it now..
      big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)