jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Right overreacting to Holder's "brainwashing"

1. habee profile image95
    habeeposted 5 years ago

In the following video, Holder says we need to "brainwash" young people against guns. The far right is having a field day with the video, saying he's trying to take guns away from everyone. I'm not a Holder fan, but here, he's talking about kids, guns, violent crimes, and gangs. I actually agree with Holder - kids shouldn't be carrying/using guns.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/ … _guns.html

And before the far right hubbers want to stone me, understand that I'm a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment. I own guns and have done a lot of hunting and shooting in my life. I even won two skeet shooting championships. My dad was a gun dealer/collector. When he died, after shooting himself, I got a personal call from the NRA, as Dad had been a prominent member for decades.

Guns are for responsible adults, along with young people who are being supervised by responsible adults. Kids don't need to be carrying guns to school or walking around with them in their neighborhoods.

1. gregas profile image80
      gregasposted 5 years agoin reply to this

First of all I don't feel that "brainwash" is a word that should be used here. I personally associate that with pows and consider it bad taste.
      I do feel people including young people, should be a LOT better educated about guns. I paesonally, am not a big fan of guns, but I do believe in the right to own guns too.
      But, my big thing is, I feel people that are going to own guns need to take FULL responsible for the guns they own. I know that there have been laws passed in the past that make people responsible for locking up guns and keeping them out of the reach of young kids. The problem is, these laws are not enforced.
      I feel that if someone owns a gun, they are responsible for what happens with that gun. If the gun is stolen, that should be reported right away. That would thake the responsibility out of there hands, as long as they could prove that they did everything they could to make that gun safe.
      Everyone that owns guns should be responsible for what happens with that gun if they were negligent about the safe keeping of that gun. My opinion, Greg

1. habee profile image95
        habeeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I didn't like his use of the word "brainwashing," either, even if he meant well.

2. Abecedarian profile image82
    Abecedarianposted 5 years ago

It's election year, everyone is over-reacting. And politicians are ignorant to not chose their words wisely before speaking. Look what it did to Perry, Gingrich and Ron Paul to name a few. Has anyone hear from Michelle Bachmann lately?  My kids learned to use guns at an early age, bird hunting, deer hunting, turkey hunting, etc.  They know the proper way to handle a gun, clean it and care for it. There needs to be gun education for today's youth because so many of them only know what they hear from friends and watch in movies or video games.

1. habee profile image95
      habeeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. I grew up with guns, and I was taught to respect them at an early age. To "play" with my Dad's guns never even crossed my mind when I was a kid.

1. gregas profile image80
        gregasposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I;m sure you both keep your guns in a safe place and you have taught your kids to respect them. Now, what about someone that has kids and they teach their kids to respect and how to handle guns but they don't keep them LOCKED UP and in a safe place. Say those kids have friends come over and one takes a gun. Who is going to be responsible for what that child does with that gun? Just a scinario, but it can, and probably does happen. Greg

3. profile image0
    idratherbeposted 5 years ago

Gregas, I agree. I'll add another example. A child sneaks out of the house, comes home later through a window. Parent hears the noise, grabs the gun and kills their own child. Unless locked up, guns have no place in a household with children.

4. habee profile image95
    habeeposted 5 years ago

The only gun we keep out is my shotgun, which stays on the far side of my bed. The grandkids aren't allowed in my room. That same gun prevented intruders one night years ago, when my kids were young and my husband was at work. When the would-be perps saw me with a gun, they fled.

working