- Gender and Relationships»
Romantic Gift Ideas for Her and Him
Are you looking for romantic gift ideas for that special someone? Perhaps you're looking for the perfect Valentine's Day gift for the sweetheart in your life. Let me see if I can help you out.
Women love surprises. They really like to know that you pay attention to what they like and don't like. Think about the things that make her giggle with excitement. What are the things she gravitates to in the mall? What are the things she mentions being envious of that her girlfriends have? What does she oooh and aaah over in the magazines?
Men enjoy surprises just as much as women. You just have to remember inside every man is a shy little boy. Think about the things that make him smile. Think about his hobbies, his interests, his habits. All of these are clues about what he likes. Then think about what he's told you that he likes about you or what you do. Yes, this often includes lingerie or a bed, but even if it does you can still find ways to make it fun and romantic.
Romantic Ideas that Do Not Require Money
I'm going to give you a few ideas that might work for you if you're looking to surprise him or her and don't have a lot of money to spend on cards and gifts:
- Get up early and make them a special breakfast. If you have time you could make muffins, pancakes or waffles and put a heart on them with icing, jelly, or butter. Toaster Strudel is perfect for this. It has its own little icing packet.
- Make him/her their favorite beverage for breakfast. (Maybe something special like hot chocolate or hot lemonade.)
- You can make a Valentine's card with just about anything around the house such as the comics from the Sunday paper, napkins, paper towels, paper plates, etc. Simply cut out a heart shape and decorate it with whatever you have. You could even just cut out multiple hearts all different sizes and sprinkle them like confetti anywhere they will find them. Places like the bathroom vanity or the seat or dash of the car are good places. If you're able to get multiple colors you can put saying on them like conversational hearts have.
- You can make a heart shape out of a bread tie, pipe cleaner, piece of ribbon, etc. and leave it where they can find it.
- Any of these things can be spritzed with your perfume/cologne so that it remind them of you.
- If you have a candle of any kind around the house you can create a romantic atmosphere. It doesn't have to be a long tapered candle like you see in the movies. A simple little emergency candle or votive candle will work. If you have too, a birthday candle will work just as well.
- Do something thoughtful to make their day go easier. You get bonus points if it's something she/he's been nagging you to do for a long time. Don't do it for the praise, but do it because they mean that much to you, especially on Valentine's Day.
- Write an old-fashioned love note and slip it in to their jacket pocket, purse or wallet. You know, like the kind you'd write back in junior high.
- Dig out old photos of the two of you and scatter a few on a table along with any other memorabilia you may have. Photos of your first date, first kiss, wedding proposal, or wedding day are particularly good photos to choose.
Romance or Love Coupons
Romance or Love Coupons are a very inexpensive and fun way to spice up your relationship. Slip one of these pre-printed coupons into your partner's lunch, car seat, or maybe tape it to the bathroom mirror.
Some of the coupons say things like:
- With this coupon, you get a non-stop body kiss from the top of your head to the tips of your toes.
- Present this coupon any time you want me to drop everything and make love to you.
52 Series by Lynn Gordon
If you're looking for something to do for her or him that is romantic, try the 52 Series of books by Lynn Gordon. Each books has 52 ideas, perfect for one a week for a year. Just think of the fun you'll have if you only ever do ten of them. You never know what these may lead to.
Jewelry Ideas for Her
I have several hubs about various types of jewelry that I like. Maybe some of them will appeal to her as well.
- Liquid silver necklace-I absolutely love the look and feel of liquid silver. I've devoted an entire article just to this item.
- Skeleton key jewelry-Skeleton key jewelry is extremely popular right now. You'll find lots of types of keys. Those that incorporate a heart motif or a lock with keys are some of my favorites. The idea is that she holds the keys to your heart.
- Valentine's Day or heart motif jewelry-Around Valentine's Day the stores are filled with heart-shaped jewelry. There are so many styles to choose from.
There aren't many women that don't love flowers. If you're going to get flowers, do it up right. ProFlowers.com has the best fresh flowers I have ever seen. I've been fortunate enough to have at least a half dozen bouquets sent to me through them. They come in a long box and assembly is required. They last for weeks. They have so many beautiful bouquets to choose from. You may even find them advertised on this page. They run a lot of specials. At the time of this posting they had a special to buy one dozen multi-colored roses and get another dozen free. That made them $29.99 for two dozen roses! You can order them online and have them delivered!
I love confetti. I like to sprinkle confetti into every card I give. It gives the person a surprise when they open their card and tiny bright-colored pieces fall to the floor. Valentine's confetti can be sprinkled all over the place to remind the one you love how much they mean to you. Try sprinkling a few on their pillow, the bathroom vanity, their shoes, their car, their wallet, etc. Everywhere they got they will be reminded of you.
I've had people tell me they've found pieces of confetti I've sent them years later. That's a nice reminder.
Balloons are a fun way to say "I Love You".
I like a mixture of helium balloons and air-filled balloons. I love seeing a floor covered in bright-colored balloons.
You can buy helium tanks that fill about 20-30 good-sized balloons. They are easy to use. I've been buying them for years for DIY balloon bouquets.
5 ft. Inflatable Hearts
I think this is such a cute way to surprise the one you love when they go out to get in their car or come home that evening. This five foot inflatable is a grouping of conversational hearts. What a great way to let the neighborhood know just how much he/she means to you!
More Great Hubs by KCC Big Country
- Jewelry for Valentine's Day
Jewelry is something most women enjoy receiving as a gift from someone special. Every time they wear that piece of jewelry they are reminded of the person who gave it to them. Most women will even remember the...
- Homemade Valentines
Buying Valentine's Day cards can be expensive if you want something really nice. If you're five years old and trying to buy Valentine's cards for your whole pre-school class of 25 kids, perhaps the boxed set...
- Gifts for Women Who Have Everything
Valentine's Day will be here before you know it. You need to buy her a gift and you are wondering what on earth to get her because she's one of those women who seem to have everything. You don't want to...
- Gift Ideas for Men
When it comes to gift-giving, what do you get that hard-to-get man in your life? What could you get him that would be unique and really appreciated? I actually think men are easy to buy for if you just give...
- Cool and Unusual Alarm Clocks
I'm one of the fortunate people that doesn't really need an alarm to wake up. No matter what time I go to bed, I can almost always wake up when I'm supposed to. I do still set the alarm just in case and there...
- Buy Him a Maglite Flashlight
Mini-Maglite flashlights (Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons) With Father's Day right around the corner, you can't go wrong with a Maglite (often referred to as Mag light). I have never met a man who didn't go...
- Cowhide Rugs
When I mention cowhide rugs, what kind of home do you picture having a cowhide rug? I think many people envision a log cabin in the woods with a cozy fireplace. More and more, cowhide rugs have become a...
- Kitchen Gadgets That Make Cooking Fun
Kitchen gadgets are one of the top items couples enjoy buying together, particularly if they enjoy cooking in the kitchen together. Having the right gadget for the job makes cooking much more pleasurable. If...