jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do "opposites attract", or do "birds of a feather flock together"?

1. profile image52
    Pandemic Pressposted 8 years ago

Do "opposites attract", or do "birds of a feather flock together"?

Psychology certainly has an oppinion, and so do I (which you can read about soon in a hub I will publish) but I'd like to hear all of yours!

2. mivelleza profile image59
    mivellezaposted 8 years ago

Opposites balance,compliment and fill in the gaps for each other.Two of the same is the same game (over and over).Though there can be two of the same in a square  working unison at each opposite  sides of the corners complimenting equally.

3. dr c profile image78
    dr cposted 8 years ago

Well, that's an interesting question. Research in social psychology seems to support the idea of complimentarity, where people have different, but mutually beneficial skills or strengths and the idea that people tend to associate with those that they perceive to be most like themselves.
    Most likely it's a combination of a bunch of factors. Things like geographic proximity and socialization experiences also play a significant role and research has been cited to substantiate both sides.
    My guess is that we're probably more complex than one or the other, but social scientists do come up with some great experiments to look at human nature. I'll be interested to see your hub.

4. puddingicecream profile image74
    puddingicecreamposted 6 years ago

Yes to an extent -- to complement each other. However, most tend to be more similar than they are different.