jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

My 1.3 yr old daughter is getting a bit aggressive these days, she slaps people

1. profile image44
    umme javeiahposted 7 years ago

My 1.3 yr old daughter is getting a bit aggressive these days, she slaps people if they irritate...

her or if she gets angry or at times i dont even understand the reason. how should i deal with her?

2. duplicate profile image70
    duplicateposted 7 years ago

When she gets aggressive and slaps people, slap her back. She'll soon learn not to.

3. IdaKenelm profile image58
    IdaKenelmposted 7 years ago

First of all, make sure she is not hungry or in need of a nap.  If it is her temper that is out of hand, there are several methods of training her.  The key to proper training is consistency.  Choose an option and the you MUST follow through every time:

1.  Restrain her hands, and tell her that slapping is a 'No No'.  Then redirect her play.

2. Firmly swat her legs, and tell her 'No Slap'.  Hug her, and let her go back to playing.  Repeat as needed, and praise her when she controls herself. (i.e. Stops herself before she slaps someone.)

3.  Pick her up, remover her from the scene, and set her in time out.  Let her know that slapping will not be tolerated.  Make her sit for one minute before allowing her to return to her play.

Remember, no matter which method you choose, you must never discipline in anger!

4. profile image59
    foreignpressposted 7 years ago

This is something that needs to be watched closely. There are numerous personality disorders like ADHD that might account for her quick temper. Try to find the triggers such as tone of voice, what is said, or if there's lots of noise in the room. If she has comprehension problems or demonstrates impatience, this might cause her to react violently. If this problem isn't addressed it might escalate to where she's causing problems in a daycare or school classroom. You might also have her hearing checked. Something is making her react this way. She might outgrow it -- and maybe not.

working