jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why are females referred to as the fairer sex?

1. nifty@50 profile image74
    nifty@50posted 7 years ago

Why are females referred to as the fairer sex?

2. scramble profile image65
    scrambleposted 7 years ago

Because they are better looking, better behaved, delicate, and like to be complimented.

3. formerbronxboy profile image56
    formerbronxboyposted 7 years ago

Have you ever touched one? I think you'll find that they are much more comfortable to touch.

4. helendanger profile image79
    helendangerposted 7 years ago

Fair used to mean beautiful as well as delicately complected.  The emphasis was on prettiness though.  As in, fair of face or fair maiden.  We are definitely the prettier sex!  By far!

5. Pearldiver profile image79
    Pearldiverposted 7 years ago

What a good question and not surprisingly fully taken advantage of from the members of the fairer sex who have taken the time to answer.  The term 'fairer sex' does come from the regal courts of the past and intimated that the women were fragile enough to be defended by males within the medieval terms of chivelry.   

Why on earth the term has carried over to this century is anybody's guess; but I suspect it had to do with an Aussi called Darkside laying down his singlet over a puddle, for a certain blond nurse to walk across fairly! (And that'd be a first for an Aussi too, I'm sure).

6. Wayne Brown profile image83
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

Hopefully  you are not confusing the use of the term "fairer" to mean that they are more objective and balanced in their approach, but I had to ask.  The reference to "fairer" with regard to women is relative to the lightness of their skin color and probably came from a comparison of old when men worked outside in the sun and becamed tanned further highlighting the wife's light complexion.  It also has come to refer to their tenderness and delicacy.  Hope this helps. WB

7. profile image0
    dracaslairposted 7 years ago

well its because,god made us beneath man.so i dont see anything fair.we have to do ALL wifely duties.work and deal with kids all the time.not getting a day off from it. i keep going even on my worst day.if i dont get a but chewing and a half.sometimes worse.

working