jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Have any of you been brought up by racist parents, and if so ..as a grown up now

1. Darknlovely3436 profile image82
    Darknlovely3436posted 7 years ago

Have any of you been brought up by racist parents, and if so ..as a grown up now  how do you ...

feel.. looking back at some of the comments about other race...you heard at the dinner table by your parents.

2. msorensson profile image72
    msorenssonposted 7 years ago

Compassion is not restricted to rescuing anyone from anything. Your parents too are humans and as such subject to judgment errors. Forgive your parents for those remarks because it was the best that they were at that time. You do not  have to be chained by their remarks done a long time ago.

3. Dr. Amilia profile image38
    Dr. Amiliaposted 7 years ago

Well I see racism as a form of ignorance. So I ignore those involved in this practice.

4. perfectperception profile image60
    perfectperceptionposted 7 years ago

Hmmmm.  Good question.  My mother was never one to teach us racism but love based on treatment and appreciation and that is what I have kept close in teaching my own children!

5. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

my dad is a racist and me and him have had some pretty heated arguements about it. he is a smart man with a stupid sense of what people are like. he dislikes any race that isn't white which i find insane but no one will change his mind.

6. Bronson_Hub profile image60
    Bronson_Hubposted 7 years ago

My mom was/is still racist.  It's annoying when she starts up.  I just ignore her entirely and don't fuel her fire.

7. medicfrogs profile image77
    medicfrogsposted 7 years ago

I always thought that my grandpa was racist when I was a kid. As an adult though, I have had long conversations with him and found out that he hates the cultures more than the colors of people's skin, which is still not good, but I was able to stop looking at him as a complete racist at least. He always talked about how ignorant some cultures are, and I always mistook it for him saying how stupid certain people of color are. I don't know how to feel about it these days. Everyone has their own perspective and they all think that their perspective is the right. In the end, just serve your fellow man, you will never have an obscurity of the values of right and wrong.

8. rishi-bhrigu profile image57
    rishi-bhriguposted 7 years ago

yes,i was brought up that way.but my wife of 25 years is a chinese while i am indian:)

9. DarkSinistar profile image86
    DarkSinistarposted 7 years ago

My father was born and raised down in Mississippi and though he tried to overcome the racism that had been pounded into him from the day he was born, it was never easy for him. But he did not object when my best friend in elementary school was black and he was always careful to watch his language around us kids. Though he will still say something pretty crude now and then and will be the first to admit he has some strong racist feelings, still he did what he could to not poison his children the way he had been.