jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is having confidence in your appearance more difficult for men or women?

1. Captainausume profile image61
    Captainausumeposted 6 years ago

Is having confidence in your appearance more difficult for men or women?

2. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

I would imagine women have a tougher time being confident. They're also more competitive with one another when it comes to looking great. You don't see a men talking about the suit a guy wore to an awards show.

The reason why there are so many commericals for them concering youth creams/lotions, hair color, eye lashes, lace wigs, numerous diets and weight loss programs, breast englarments, manicure/pedicures, "booty pop", botox, cellulite and spider vein removal.....etc  (It's all because women buy this stuff).
    The reason you don't see nearly the same amout of marketing geared towards men is because they don't care as much about their looks. Many believe if they are "successful" they can have the  woman of their choice.

3. Jason Jensen profile image55
    Jason Jensenposted 6 years ago

I think this is a good question. First of all, I can say that men are more superficial than women. However, I think women are starting to become more superficial. I think a lot of modern TV shows have been putting more pressure on men to be attractive. Take True Blood, for example. The men on that show are bigger sex symbols than the women.

If you want proof that men feel insecure and lack confidence in their appearance almost as much as women do, take a look at the magazine rack in any grocery store and pay attention to how many bodybuilding magazines, fitness magazines and mens fashion magazines there are. A lot of men must being buying them or they wouldn't exist. A lot of it depends on the individual, as well. Many men do not care at all about their looks, but some do.

4. KateWest profile image77
    KateWestposted 6 years ago

I think advertising and society pressures women into being as sexy as possible, rather than what is natural. Plus guys are visually stimulated to in order to attract a guy you have to look a certain way, unfortunately.