jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

What is your best wedding planning tip for a low budget wedding?

1. destinymarshall profile image59
    destinymarshallposted 6 years ago

What is your best wedding planning tip for a low budget wedding?

In your city, and state how have you saved money with your wedding plans? And who would you recommend for various services?

2. Mcham Law profile image58
    Mcham Lawposted 6 years ago

Craigslist if it is available. It is amazing how many things you can get for next to nothing. My wife and I spent about 3 months shopping hard on craigslist and ended up with just about everything we needed for a fraction of the cost new. Then we resold most of it after the wedding and recouped our costs. I think we might have made a small profit.
    My wife is also a part time florist. She works out of our home and advertises on craigslist and on a website she made. She isn't looking to make a fortune on this as it is just a hobby so she is able to massively undercut the competition. My suggestion would be to go to a regular florist and get a quote and then find a couple of people on craigslist and show them the quote. If they can't cut it in half I would be surprised.

3. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

It depends on where you're located, size of the budget, and types of contacts one has. Banquet halls can serve as both the location for the wedding & the reception. A brunch reception is usually less expensive than an evening one. I have been to weddings/recpetions that were held in gyms, back yards, apartment complex rec rooms. With a little creativity and keeping the guest list down you can do wonders. Remember "the marriage" is a lot more important than "the wedding day".

You can get decent flowers from your local (grocery store florist) for a lot cheaper than the typical florist shops. DJs are cheaper than bands for the most part. If you can only afford a photographer or videographer (Go with the photographer). Most photographers are able to create a slide show with some of the photos from music of your choice for dvds or post it as url internet link. 

If you live near Las Vegas there are plenty of one stop wedding/recption chaples. Most family members and friends love to go to Vegas.

Naturally the least expensive is to elope at (all inclusive vacation) such as www.sandals.com or at www.applevacations.com locations. Given a choice I would rather invest more money in a honeymoon than a wedding. :-)

4. twoseven profile image85
    twosevenposted 6 years ago

I just wrote about this, but there were some other ideas I couldn't fit in to my hub!

For the location, I think it's definitely worthwhile to look into city or county parks.  They are often really inexpensive, and can be beautiful.  Ours was at a county park, with a clubhouse, and it was just perfect. 

I also think keeping the wedding party simple helps a lot - you don't need to spend lots of extra money for dresses and gifts for your friends.  They will have a great time at your party no matter what!

We also skipped on the passed appetizers - that would have made the catering bill a lot more expensive, and no one noticed the difference.  We still had appetizers on tables, but it cuts down on the staff that the caterer needs to hire.

Thanks for starting this discussion!

5. Zeitnixe profile image58
    Zeitnixeposted 5 years ago

There's always a park somewhere around you that's picturesque and free for the ceremony, if you search (many require a fee).

Do you really need all the trimmings?  Rose petals, maybe a bridal arch, and a few chairs for not-so-mobile guests is all you really need.

Package deals for receptions are always going to be more expensive than hiring a hall with tables and chairs for your use, and getting a party caterer. We're getting three caterers, and it's still cheaper by far, for a unique mix of platters, sit-down meal, and teas in antique cups with dessert.

You'll save on alcohol if you supply just the basics and let your guest BYO their prefered bottles, or have an afternoon reception rather than evening. Many people don't like champagne much, and would secretly prefer to choose their drop.

Ask your friends and family for help .... many of them are just waiting for a chance to be a part of your special day, whether trying out their budding photography skills, utilising their excellent baking skills, or driving you in their shiny new car, etc. Be spoilt!

1. Charlotte Lenard profile image70
      Charlotte Lenardposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely - although I would disagree that package deals are going to be more expensive. It usually (if done at the right venue) can help reduce your overall separate costs.

6. profile image53
    watson mariaposted 5 years ago

I really save money on my wedding by hiring a affordable wedding photographer known as Andi Watson(weddingphotograhersglasgow.net). He is well-known for his photography in Glasgow.

working