jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Can you marry your own blood relative?

1. ubanichijioke profile image77
    ubanichijiokeposted 6 years ago

Can you marry your own blood relative?

Can you marry your girlfriend/boyfriend if you later realize that he/she is your long lost [blood] relative?

2. profile image0
    AlienWednesdayposted 6 years ago

Depends on the state and the laws. Some states you can marry first cousins, other 3rd etc..

3. profile image0
    msivakumarposted 6 years ago

There are cultural, legal and scientific factors involved here.

Even if it is culturally  and legally accepted, it is not advisable scientifically as the kids born to close relatives (as couples) will have medical problems.

4. lockgirl profile image60
    lockgirlposted 6 years ago

If you are still in child bearing years they frown on blood relatives marrying due to the complications that may arise from inbreeding.  Couples that are no longer able to have children it is a little easier , but in any way it is way too weird. First cousins are like brothers or sisters and that is just wrong. SORRY just my opinion.

5. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 6 years ago

It depends on how close of a blood relative. If it happened to be a 4th or 5th cousin, no issue. I agree, first cousins are WAY too close -- my husband was raised with his second cousin, and now she's his niece too because his brother married her mom (who had adopted him, so...). They moved to Georgia so it was legal, and it's legal in a few other states too. Too close for me, thanks.

6. inaniLoquence profile image70
    inaniLoquenceposted 6 years ago

I agree with wychic. It depends on how far removed you both are. If you're marrying, say, your brother, that would mean serious genetic disorders and other diseases for your future children.