jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why do people feel there is need say they can do things that can't be done

1. sir_tallest profile image64
    sir_tallestposted 6 years ago

Why do people feel there is need say they can do things that can't be done

someone asked a question here about using the word can't and most that responded made it sound like the word is a taboo....we all know that certain times it was used....so why the pretense....sry but I mean not to attack....just prefer the truth sometimes

2. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 6 years ago

I feel the same way about people who give misguiding information when asked.  Its ok to say "I don't know" a stranger doesn't look at you any different if you don't know.

3. thebeast02 profile image83
    thebeast02posted 6 years ago

I personally feel like there are varying degrees of "can't". For example, I can't lift up a bus. That is a simple fact and I physically can't do it. But I wouldn't go as far as to say that I can't be successful at something that is reasonably feasible. Saying you can't do something is usually an easy way out and is used where "won't" or "don't want to" should really be used.

I hope this answer makes sense and isn't too confusing. I don't see the word as taboo at all, and as reeltaulk said, sometime a simple "I don't know" is much better than giving false information.

4. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago

There is nothing that cannot be done, if one sets their mind and their will to accomplish something no matter if someone else might think it impossible, there is always a way. You have to stop being so negative about things and life in general.

5. Ania L profile image84
    Ania Lposted 6 years ago

I answer with an ancient Chinese proverb I read very recently: "Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it."
    There is also another saying, more adequate to the situation you are describing: "if you think you can or you think you can't, you are right"
    So the 'truth' is only true in the world of a person saying it smile