jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How do you change a bad habit or character in an adult

1. sir_tallest profile image64
    sir_tallestposted 6 years ago

How do you change a bad habit or character in an adult

if you notice a bad behavior or character in a friend and you want to help change the person....what can you do

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image83
    Kathleen Cochranposted 6 years ago

Let them reap the consequences of their actions.  Don't intercede.  Don't smooth things over.  Let them take the hit.  It's hard to do, and I usually don't.  But adults have been the way they are for a long time.  It's hard to change - them and us.

3. MellyMoo profile image59
    MellyMooposted 6 years ago

Nothing.  You can only change yourself.  Hopefully, the person will copy you in your example, but if they don't and the behaviour is adversely affecting you, maybe it is time to change pathways

4. fpherj48 profile image75
    fpherj48posted 6 years ago

First things first.  How much co-operation can you expect from the adult with the bad habit?  Going with "a minimal amount but open to advice......." I'd say to give it a try.  I'll go further and suppose the habit is ....constantly interrupting someone who is speaking.  Very annoying habit, agree?  With patience and genuine concern, help the adult recognize that he/she truly has this habit and  it is apparent it has caused them some back lash.  Give this person a few actual incidents when, where and with whom they have exposed this unacceptable behavior.  As you walk them through, it would be important to ask them how they feel they might react, were they the person being continually interrupted.  I think it may help quite a bit to offer to go through a role-playing scenario, one on one and spend some time discussing it afterward.  No one enjoys hearing about a character flaw they may have and it's no fun pointing it out either.  Being considerate and respectful should make this more comfortable for both of you.

5. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

It's not your job to change adults. The only person you have control over is yourself. However if your friend asks you for help you can make some suggestions. Bottom line is "People change when they want to change!"

6. OutsideTheLines profile image61
    OutsideTheLinesposted 6 years ago

Permanent change only comes from within yourself. If you don't want to do it then the change will be temporary to make someone else happy and not yourself.

7. HERBERT ubaldo profile image59
    HERBERT ubaldoposted 6 years ago

You can not change the bad habit of an adult, they are the one who can only change it. Character is owned by anyone..

working