How do you break bad habits?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Purpose Embraced profile image84
    Purpose Embracedposted 9 years ago

How do you break bad habits?

I suppose it is safe to say that most of us have at least one bad habit that we would like to break. Share the steps you took to break a specific bad habit.

2. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

One day at a time.
    They say the best way to get rid of a bad habit is to replace it with a good habit. An example might be instead of smoking, chew sugar free gum. If you need to lose weight but hate going to the gym take long walks or hikes with your iPod listening to music. Make fruit your dessert of choice. Join a few hobby groups on meetup.com to get out of the house and engage with others.
    Truth be told there are only two reasons why people make changes.
    1. It's a necessity (If they don't change they will lose something major)
    2. They're unhappy with the results they're currently getting in life.
    "If you want something different you have to do something different."

Purpose Embracedposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your insightful response dashingscorpio. I like the idea of replacing the bad habit with a good one.

3. profile image0
    Dave36posted 9 years ago

One bad habit Purpose?, if only!, i had, well lets just say more than one!lol..I like what dashing says, & I'd like to mention a few tips i used & still use..So to break any bad habit, we have to use our will power right?..So do we have will power if we have bad habits?, I'd say no we either have will power & no bad habits, or we have no bad habits & will power..Believe me I've search high & low for the magic formula to get instant will power, & I'm pretty certain there isn't a magic formula..There is another reason why people change, & that reason is motivation & is the best reason a person should change..For example most people when told by their Dr one more drink/cigarette & you will die, manage to find the will power straight away to stop drinking or smoking..Now obviously we don't want to have to wait until we get motivation like that!lol, but if we find all the things we love to do we will probably find that our bad habits disappear as we won't have time for them any more..So in the meantime work on your smallest/easiest bad habit, & work on that until you've eliminated it..Then the next "small" one etc, & so on giving you vital practice as you move on to the bigger one's..It's the same with worries, write them all down & start tackling the "smallest" one..Dashing makes a good point about doing "something different", & I'm not sure if it was Einstein himself who said it, but "doing the same things every day, & expecting different results is a sign of madness"lol..I live my life by that rule, & a few others..So when i was sitting at home smoking weed every night i decided to do something different, & tricked myself off the weed by finding things i loved to do at night..I still "trick" myself now like if i stay on top of all of my bad habits all day, i can have a few biftas late at night whilst I'm chatting on here etc..The amazing thing I've discovered about will power is that if you stay on top of it with any particular bad habit, is that your mind shifts to start to help you maintain it.

Thanks for your responding Dave36. Yes, we have to do things differently to get different results.

4. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 9 years ago

It is a matter of re-training the mind. There are infinite techniques for programming. The main thing is to get the subconscious to accept the new behavior. I prefer autosuggestion, ancient mantras, yoga philosophy or electronic/visual mind programming in the delta state. Many years ago I had the habit of seeing politics and the world as it appeared to be, full problems and turmoil. Then I decided to change my world. The outer world is the same, but I took control of my inner world. The only world that really matters. Now I am free and happy every day. I am detached from world problems and things that I cannot change. They were never my problems. And they didn't seek my council or opinions. So why should I take up the problems that they are creating? Unfortunately, people get caught up in the word "we" in society. Jnana yoga switches the attention back to "I Am". Immediately all the  burdens of the world vanishes because they need to plant suggestions in people minds to affect them. When you take your power back, the world becomes powerless.

Thanks for responding Sri T. That's an interesting perspective, that is, focusing on your inner world.

5. Brandon Marhal profile image62
    Brandon Marhalposted 9 years ago

By slowing bending them till they break, it will take a little bit of effort.

Thanks for responding Brandon. But how do you bend them until they break?

6. parrster profile image83
    parrsterposted 9 years ago

I've found if I focus on the habit, I generally lose the battle. Instead I think it best to focus on positioning. Identify those scenarios to which your habit is prone to show itself, and consider ways to distance yourself from such scenarios. This could be a physical, mental or relational repositioning. For example, if your habit is smoking, and you identify that certain environments, situations or people make resistance impossible, then work at ways to avoid these, or at least, minimise your exposure to them.
    The longer period of time you can do this, the weaker the habits influence and the less dependent you become.

Thanks for your response parrster. I like your idea of repositioning; avoiding situations that continue to reinforce the habit.

7. profile image52
    lydia tubweineposted 9 years ago

You can break bad habits by enforcing strict laws in people and in the community

Thanks for responding lydia. But steps can we take personally to break bad habits?

8. ajosh143 profile image59
    ajosh143posted 9 years ago

Breaking something that is bad is not easy, but also not impossible.
    There should be self control,ability to divert mind,strong will power.
    Try breaking your bad habit  for 40 days first.
    Because many says that it takes 40 days to form a habit.

Thanks for responding ajosh143. I agree, self-discipline and self-control are important ingredients to breaking bad habits.

9. Akshaykumar Bhat profile image59
    Akshaykumar Bhatposted 9 years ago

Meditation is the one of the way to control habit.

Thank for responding Akshaykumar.

10. manatita44 profile image70
    manatita44posted 9 years ago

To be honest, My Purpose Embraced,

I am still struggling. Yes, after over half a lifetime the obstacle is still there, and to think that I sat at the feet of a Holy man for 31 years!!

What can I say? The Soul wants to purge me with fire, so that I can be prepared for the Higher Forces coming from Above. Truly speaking, this is mostly the answer, especially when we try so hard and nothing seems to work. He wants us to work and paradoxically reminds us that even this tiny effort is also of His doing; of His Grace.

So how do we break this habit?

1. Prayer and meditations, regularly, punctually. A life of discipline is a must! Seek the help of the inner Attorney.

2. Launch into enough activity to create distractions. Rest is a killer on the spiritual path. Ignorance always find work for empty hands to do. In the spiritual life there is no Saturday or Sunday. There is only NOW. The Sacrament of the Present Moment. Be like our Lord's lilies of the field.

3. Serve God, love mankind.

4. Avoid negative company and create within you, an aversion for the pointers that would ultimately lead you to this mistake.

5. Here's an interesting and profound thought:

"Do not look backward or forward. There is only Guru. This is all you need to know."- A Friend. It translates according to your faith, but never changes. So try this:

"Do not look backward or forward. There is only Christ. This is all you need to know."- A Friend

This will ultimately keep you one-pointed and an imitator of Christ's ideals.

6. Be patient. We cannot move faster than Grace. Create in you, the spirit of acceptance and go forward, upward and inward. Much peace, my sweet one. Share if you are happy: ceeccil@hotmail.com

Thanks for your response manatita44. Prayer and meditation on God's Word really work for me.

2. manatita44 profile image70
      manatita44posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Precisely, PE.
      No one really likes short answers, but you are 100% on. Prayer is the answer to all life's problems. The Inner Guide will teach you all you need to know.

11. lilmissmontana profile image79
    lilmissmontanaposted 9 years ago

I have broke 3 bad habits this past year. Smoking, eating unhealthy, and drinking soda.

I replaced each of them with a healthier alternative. I pulled all the unhealthy things from my house and replaced them with natural, healthy, unprocessed foods. I started drinking a gallon and half of water every day to kick the soda habit.

As dashingscorpio stated, it's one day at at time. Even if you fail one day, remember that tomorrow is a new day and a new beginning to try again. Don't give up and have a positive attitude. If you want to change bad enough, you will find the will to do it.

Thanks for your response lilmissmontana, and congrats on breaking those three bad habits!

12. profile image50
    kainaatamjadposted 9 years ago

just get determine that you can change yourself! everything in my view is up to you! if you want to change yourself nothing can stop you! the next step is to repeat the problems you'll face if you stay with the bad habit at least 5 times a day! Once you start opposing the habit it will be easier to leave it!
    everything takes time to leave the bad habit bit by bit!
    the best example if of a smoker! if he smokes thrice a day then he should reduce to twice a day for a period of time ad then reduce to ones a day and finally get rid of the habit!

Thanks for your response kainaatamjad. Yes, a lot rest on choosing to resist the bad habit.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)