What is your best advice for people looking for love over 50?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. K9keystrokes profile image83
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

What is your best advice for people looking for love over 50?

2. profile image0
    Curiadposted 12 years ago

If you look for love it will elude you. Look first to your inner self and learn to love that, then as you go about your daily life love will find you.

3. pmarshall1962 profile image62
    pmarshall1962posted 12 years ago

I believe relationships are harder when over the age of 40.  You might think since the kids are grown and you have more free time, it would be easier.  Please note that not only are you set in your ways, so is the other person.  The give-and-take needs to worked on more now then ever.

Established people do not have the innocence and care-free nature we had at 20. We are not just starting life: example:  how do you spend your holidays?  Can you still do that, are you willing to change, are all family members willing to accept the changes?  All of a sudden I was cooking for 25 people and cooking was never an interest of mine, but I was willing to change (although the cooking is still in question).

Move SLOW.  Date for a long time.  Don't be exclusive right away and keep time for friends and yourself.  And I do not recommend dating right after a divorce or death of a loved one (or to date anyone in that catagory).  I realize that I did not follow my own advise, but i can say from experience that the roller coaster ride was a huge struggle.  An important point, in divorce you know that the couple couldn't overcome their issues and parted.  A widow/widower still has love for that person, which will always be there and be treasured.  Can you live with that?   

Now, don't believe it when a person says "I was with my partner for 10 years and never cheated so I'm clean".  You do not know what happened on the other side.  We have enough health issues without adding a sexually transmitted one to the equation. 

Old saying is "I would rather be happy and single than married and miserable". 

Oh, and it is my opinion that free dating sites are questionable, but professional sites are great, also check with friends or look online for old school chums.  If nothing else, you will have more friends to add to your Facebook!!!

4. SakuraMillie profile image59
    SakuraMillieposted 12 years ago

Make lots of friends anyway you can!! The best relationship at any age always starts with a good friendship.
    Put yourself on dating websites. Most people these days have more luck finding a loved one online than in real life. I met the love of my life that way! Just make sure you take precautions so that you know who you are actually talking to online.
    There are websites for 'mature' adults but I honestly don't believe age makes a difference. Its hard at any age to find true love.
    Wish you the best in your hunt!!!!

5. athena2011 profile image58
    athena2011posted 12 years ago

It seems that nowadays it is becoming more accepted to look for love using online dating websites (not just for people over 50 either, but any age) . A friend of mine recently told me that Match.com is for those looking to fool around but that eHarmony is more serious people looking for lasting relationships.

I have no way of knowing if this is true or not, but she did find he new husband on eHarmony so I guess she was speaking from experience. Hope this helps and I wish you the best in your search.

6. Cool Banana profile image60
    Cool Bananaposted 12 years ago

Internet dating seems to be a great way for people over 50 to find love.

7. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 12 years ago

Be yourself! Also be open to using tools such as "quality dating websites" and get out of the house to do things you enjoy! Happiness attracts and negativity repels people. Take a fun class or join a club that shares your same interest. Honestly with 7 billion walking the planet it's almost impossible not to meet someone! the thing that holds people back the most is they want love to show up at their front door. Action is required to have anything in life. Even a lottery winner has to buy a ticket!
    You have to put yourself in a place where the kind of person you'd like to meet would congregate. Awhile back I wrote a hub that offers more details. Best of luck!
    http://dashingscorpio.hubpages.com/hub/ … -Your-life

8. alisha4u profile image40
    alisha4uposted 12 years ago

I would only say, "Keep the 'Hunt On' Gentlemen !!"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)