jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why an old person is not being liked as a young person?

1. taheruddin profile image44
    taheruddinposted 6 years ago

Why an old person is not being liked as a young person?

I have heard from lot of people "old people are not funny, not happy, they do not want to accept new, so sometimes I do not like them".

2. Paul Kuehn profile image94
    Paul Kuehnposted 6 years ago

I think a lot of elderly people are not liked as well as younger people because most elderly people are set in their ways and don't want to accept change as willingly as younger people.  Most elderly people don't have much contact with young people, so both sides don't understand each other very well.  This has been called a generation gap.  I, myself, might be considered old due to my age:  I will be 68 this year.  Although I see younger people who are my students at school everyday, it is hard for me to accept their music and customs as time.  If both young and old people are going to like each other, there has to be some give and take between both sides.

3. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 6 years ago

It entirely depends on the person.  I have had old college professors who were amazing.  And I have relatives who cannot even accept my gay brother.  I really take it on a case by case basis.

4. profile image57
    wim99posted 6 years ago

Formatively, this issue depends on the cast of characters involved in the arena. Some younger people have a hard time with generational gap issues, while others get along great. Simularly, in the quest for understanding age differances there are two parties to recognize, young and older. I have tremendous respect for seniors because of what they lived through and the stories they can tell.

5. YvetteParker profile image78
    YvetteParkerposted 6 years ago

Generally, this happens because a young person (not all) has not lived long enough to have empathy and compassion for anyone other than themselves. Neither does a young person have the wisdom to appreciate longevity and the beauty and blessing of aging. But as the old folks say.....keep living!

6. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image100
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years ago

This is the first time I've heard that young people  don't like old people. If that's true, it may be because young people can't identify with old people.  However, if they would take the time to look into the eyes of the old, they would see the young person who is still inside of them.  It would  be a worthwhile effort because  the old have much they can teach the young, if only the young can see past their own prejudices.

7. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

actually, I like old (elderly) people very much. 
    they've had many decades of living = many stories and experiences,
    and often much more wisdom than younger people. 

I've also found elderly people a lot easier to get along with.

working