jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Is love sometimes mistaken for infatuation?

1. cruelkindness profile image73
    cruelkindnessposted 5 years ago

Is love sometimes mistaken for infatuation?

2. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

I would imagine more people mistake infactuation for love. People tend to be on their best behavior when they first meet because they don't want to risk blowing an opportunity to get to know someone they are (very attracted) to. This leads them to say "yes" to whatever each other suggests. Naturally people who agree on "everything" believe they are each other's "soulmate".
    They start saying "I love you" during this infatuation phase before they have gotten to see their "authentic" selves.

3. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

Yes! I would say that this is usually the case. If I were to compare love to a flower: Infatuation would be the bloom and love the roots that nurture it.

4. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 5 years ago

I think it's possible but it does seem that it's more likely to be the other way around. If one thinks love is infatuation, I feel very sorry for them.

5. Insane Mundane profile image61
    Insane Mundaneposted 5 years ago

I'd say that it is very possible and, even more so, I think some people confuse love with obsession, as well.

6. Vegas Elias profile image29
    Vegas Eliasposted 5 years ago

Infatuation is mistaken for love most of the time. These things happen mostly in the teens of the twenties when the individuals are not properly experienced in life.

7. sarahcherbert profile image60
    sarahcherbertposted 5 years ago

Yes, when "love" drives you to do things like hate, hurt or live without trust then it becomes infatuation. If  "love" is lacking respect, trust and compassion then it is not "love".

8. Amy Becherer profile image74
    Amy Bechererposted 5 years ago

I would say that infatuation is mistaken for love more often than not.  At the beginning of every romantic relationship, initially, attaction draws one to another.  Usually, as physique, demeanor and personality are what we see first, and in those looking for love, it is human nature to project those qualities we most admire, on the object of our affection.

Love, however, needs time to develop.  Sometimes the very quirks that seem charming at the outset, become the very habits we grow to dislike over time. Whereas, in the throes of chemical attraction, everything looks rosy, settling down to reality and the tasks inherent in life, paints a different picture.

Statistics relay that one of our every two marriages ends in divorce.  Despite our differences, infatuation affects brain chemistry and hormones defy logic.  Even highly regarded intellectuals, brilliant leaders, CEO's of companies, and Oscar winning stars are not exempt from mistaking infatuation for love.  It seems our bodies are at war with the logic of what we know.  The chemicals our bodies create do not differentiate between infatuation and love.  Breaking the cycle, once infatuated with another, continues to defy knowledge or reason.  Divorce doesn't seem to deter the drive for love, as recognized in those that tally marriages beyond 3 or 4.  Hope, in matters of love, springs eternal.