jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)

What one piece of advice would you give your son or daughter about relationships

1. michememe profile image79
    michememeposted 5 years ago

What one piece of advice would you give your son or daughter about relationships?

Someone asked me this question. My answer was, your happiness is first and foremost. I  asked my mom and aunt what their advice would be. My mother stated, "never lose yourself." My auntie answered, "guard your heart, it is yours to protect."

2. MaryD profile image84
    MaryDposted 5 years ago

Your mother and Aunt gave great advice! I also told my children that it takes at least 6 months to truly know someone's real personality and not to rush into being serious too fast.

michememeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

MaryD, it does that long to know someone if not longer.

2. Angela Brummer profile image49
      Angela Brummerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I was told one piece of good advice, "Only date who you would mate."  Meaning if this isn't a person worthy of spending the rest of your life with don't go out with them.

3. profile image0
      Starmom41posted 5 years agoin reply to this

@Angela:  I've heard that, too-  and it does make sense

3. lovelife08 profile image61
    lovelife08posted 5 years ago

If you have to hide it, you shouldn't be in it.

Really good one. I think I will compile a book for my daughter with some of this advice.

4. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

I would definitely have the same advice I'd heard from the older generation:  "Think with your heart, not with your head." 
    It may sound odd, or even foolish, but those were the relationships that worked and lasted.
    In contrast, I've seen good relationships end because people do the opposite--  basing whether or not they want the person in their life on such things as how much money the person makes, etc.  I even heard one girl say "Love ain't gonna pay the light bills!"  It's sad that people have become so jaded.

Starmond1, you are right those are the relationships that lasted. The girl who said that has more growing to do.

5. michememe profile image79
    michememeposted 5 years ago

Angela, this is the first time I heard of that. I like that concept.

6. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

Always be true to yourself!
    If it doesn't feel right to you then it's probably not right for you. Too often we tend to ignore our (inner voice) and talk ourselves into doing things. Later we try to blame others or circumstances for choices (we made).
    I would tell my child,"Make all of your decisions/choices with complete awareness. Never separate your mind from your heart when making relationship decisions. The purpose of the mind is to protect the heart. YOU are responsible for your own happiness!"

Once great insight! You sound like my aunt protect your heart. Great advice.

7. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 5 years ago

I have told my children that when it comes to relationships:

measure twice and cut once;

look before they leap;

never judge a book by its cover;

beauty is skin deep, but ugly is to the bone;

date to mate;

never bring someone home that you would be ashamed to introduce me to;

opposites attract................................................................divorce attorneys;

there are a billion fish in the sea;

it's better to be alone, than to be with bad company;

bad company corrupts good character;

pain is weakness leaving the body.  :0)

the difference between "good" girls and "nice" girls, is that good girls say "no".

Wow...GREAT ADVICE! My favorite "bad company corrupts character."

working