jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

Do you ever use the phrase " Back in my day" in any of your conversations today?

1. sangre profile image97
    sangreposted 5 years ago

Do you ever use the phrase " Back in my day" in any of your conversations today?

2. Diane Woodson profile image62
    Diane Woodsonposted 5 years ago

Now 55 approaching 56 in a month and a day and can say back in my day I said yes to your question. We 2 here at home do it all of the time and guess its what grandma's and grandpas do!! neat ?

3. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I don't use (and never would use) either "back in the day" or "back in my day".   I just feel like this IS "my day".  Maybe that's because I don't equate "day" with youth and instead equate it more with fullness/wholeness of life and/or self.   Whenever I have to refer to something that went on in my childhood or teen years, I usually say something like, "when I was a kid" or "when I was in junior high" (or that kind of thing).  If I'm talking an earlier decade I'm likely to refer to the specific decade

4. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 5 years ago

I used it to my children. Telling them about the past during my own growing up years as compared to theirs now. They will learn the difference in lifestyle. The advancement of the technology and the changes we are going through,

It is learning about the past that will help them in the future.

5. LaThing profile image74
    LaThingposted 5 years ago

No, I never use that NOW, but when I reach 80(!!!) I might use it. I think, then it will be appropriate to use it!

6. kuzimoto profile image59
    kuzimotoposted 5 years ago

Of course I do. I find myself constantly reminding others and myself of how different things are from the past. Sooo much knowledge and wisdom has been withheld from the younguns that i try 2 invoke passion from them, other than passions for sex, drugs etc... but to life. we asked questions of our elders. todays generation answers their own questions, and leave me, a 41 and 8/9 year old man to say, "i remember back in the day, we wouldn't of tried2 rob kill sexually assault steal... we had more sense than that...

7. christin53 profile image82
    christin53posted 5 years ago

Yes I've caught myself doing this then I think I must be getting old. But I never use it to try and say it was better "back in my day" it wasn't. Wish I were young now with all the technology around.

8. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago

Definitely I Have. There have been so many changes in everything over the past 65 years of my life many improvements but also many lost qualities in life. We learned so much. I can actually accurately state that I have forgotten more about living life, than most people know today.

9. rex michaels profile image86
    rex michaelsposted 5 years ago

I suspect some use "back in my day" to indicate things might have been better back in their day, I might ask them what do you consider "today" then if your day was back then, are your days over by chance. What one considers better is always open to interpretation. I do not use the term because, I have hopes of each day in the future being my day.

10. YvetteParker profile image76
    YvetteParkerposted 5 years ago

I suspect that most parents and grandparents use or have used this phrase. I know I have.

11. Catherine Kane profile image81
    Catherine Kaneposted 5 years ago

I prefer "Back at the dawn of time when dinosaurs ruled the earth..." myself ;P

12. hlruther profile image77
    hlrutherposted 5 years ago

I jokingly say it all the time! I have caught myself legitimately making this comment as well though. Usually when referring to the nature of gaming back in the day or comparing the things my children are exposed to versus what I was. Ah hell I'm just getting old... damn.