jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Did you get married at a young age? Do you have regrets for marrying young?

1. harmony155 profile image70
    harmony155posted 5 years ago

Did you get married at a young age? Do you have regrets for marrying young?

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I married at 19 after knowing him only 4 months.  While our marriage has been a good one and has lasted 42 years and counting, I do think 19 is too young to marry.  My daughters were 18 and 20 when they married and both are very happy many years later.  I guess it depends on the two people getting married.

3. Agantum profile image60
    Agantumposted 5 years ago

Many people today, think that they are on a unique personal journey of self discovery.  We are all on a journey of discovery.  That is the very nature of being human.  We can do it alone or in company.  Its not unique, its normal.

If you get married young and you have not grown much as a person yet, you might yearn for the opportunities that you percieve others to have, regrets in this circumstance are what coveting thy neighbours wife is all about, yearning for something that is not yours.  The thing is,  personal growth is achieved by growing as a person and through overcoming the problems and puzzles in life.

I was married young and think it has been a great adventure.  When you are too young, you don't know much, but you get a long time to learn with your partner and things you do together increase your chance of success.

I have had the opportunity to watch others get married along the way and it seem to get difficult for some.  They become desperate to have children and then everything changes in life for them, faster than at any time previous.  This seems to be a group prone to many regrets.

Too old and you know exactly what you want so it is difficult to find a partner but when you do the relationship has a good chance of success. Plus if you are lucky it might actually be till death us do part.

To sum it up regrets are a personal issue and a person likely to regret something will always find something to regret.

4. michememe profile image77
    michememeposted 5 years ago

I did not get married at a young age, however I was living like I was married at a young age. We stayed together for 11 years. We eventually got married. I don't have regrets, but if I could I would have not lived with anyone in my 20s. It robbed me of some of my youth.

5. techygran profile image93
    techygranposted 5 years ago

My husband and I married young (20 & 19) and, overall, the joys of a lengthy marriage (42 years) makes up for the 'periods' of regret.  Children and grandchildren with the same partner on the life journey are the kind of bonds that really bless.  In my experience, times of regret occurred when I was younger, immature, maybe a little worn out from parenting and working outside the home.  Growing together in our faith has been a great boon to our development as individuals and a couple.  But we have a lot of divergent interests so, at least in our case, it doesn't seem to be so important that we live in each other's pockets to be happy and secure in our relationship.

6. KristenN4Boys profile image66
    KristenN4Boysposted 5 years ago

I married my first husband when we were 20. We had our first son within the first year of our marriage. (3 others followed throughout our 20's) We parented well together, but grew apart and divorced just before our 15th anniversary.

I don't regret marrying him. We have 4 amazing boys. How could I regret something that gave me my kids?