jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Are there times when it's okay to lie?

1. manofmystery24 profile image60
    manofmystery24posted 5 years ago

Are there times when it's okay to lie?

2. Vegas Elias profile image28
    Vegas Eliasposted 5 years ago

In the Bible we find that when 'The three wise men' were questioned about the whereabouts of Jesus they went back using another route. They in fact avoided telling a lie. I feel this is the best that should be done. What if they were confronted by soldiers of Herod and questioned? I feel they would not have spoken the truth. Speak lies to people with evil intentions is according to me a virtue and not a sin. One need not speak the truth to Satan.

3. profile image59
    themasterchoiceposted 5 years ago

If a lie can save a life it's worth saying over the truth... If you lie is not going to hurt anyone, including "yourself" then yes speaking lie is okay. Sometimes truth is crude and need to be told to people but yes there will be situation when you say lie but only if you can control the degree of the lie you are telling. You can also try delude or confuse on the subject but again hiding the truth is lie itself.

4. Lifes 2nd Chances profile image77
    Lifes 2nd Chancesposted 5 years ago

I believe honesty is, for the most part, always the best policy. However, the answer to this question is never black or white, there are many shades of grey. If the truth being told is going to hurt, damage or destroy something, or someone, then I believe you need to ever so gently speak the truth. Or perhaps tell the truth in stages. In my opinion, the only real measure of if a lie or truth is bad, is the intentions within the heart of the teller.

working