jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

On online dating sites, why do some men choose to be represented by a picture ta

1. kallini2010 profile image81
    kallini2010posted 5 years ago

On online dating sites, why do some men choose to be represented by a picture taken in a bathroom?

Most of the time the pictures are not very flattering, but the context makes them downright repulsive.  If you are a man, could you shed some light on the phenomenon?  If you are a woman, could you share your thoughts about how "impressed" you are with such photos?  In general, what do you think about those type of photos?  Do they do "the job", are they attractive, distractive, repulsive or maybe who cares?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6799099_f260.jpg

2. yeagerinvestments profile image85
    yeagerinvestmentsposted 5 years ago

That is a little disturbing. As a guy I cannot tell you why men do that. It's strange and probably why they are still single.

3. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

I suspect they simply lack class! When I was doing online dating there were lots of profile photos of women taken in front of a bathroom mirror holding up a cell phone. My guess is they were in the middle of setting up their online profile and decided to take a photo of them self. Maybe these people don't want their friends to know they are using online dating websites or they don't know how to ask a friend to take a photo of them (alone) without having to give them an explanation of some kind.
    There is nothing flattering about a photo taken in a bathroom!

kallini2010posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree that those men lack class. Once I met a man in a social setting and he looked acceptable.  Later I saw his picture in front of the bathroom mirror so full of himself! - I lost all respect.

4. MartieCoetser profile image90
    MartieCoetserposted 5 years ago

I honestly find those 'bathroom' pictures absolutely disgusting. While I was recently doing research on a dating site, of course with the secret agenda to find the man of my dreams - whom I have actually found - I've ignored all men with tendencies of exhibitionism. What kind of a woman would like to meet such a freak, exposing himself in such a disgusting way? There IS a time and a place for doing that - definitely not 24/7 on a dating site. But then, there are women doing the same thing. Fact is, it takes all kinds to make a world and every Jack has his Jill.

Yes, I agree, Martie, I find them - mmm - unappealing.  What surprises me the most is the NUMBER of those pictures floating around. It is not just one or two men, there just too many of them.

5. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 5 years ago

I am glad I am not a woman looking for a men on online dating sites. Why take a photo in the bathroom? Do they have nice bathrooms (i.e marbled heated floors and such ...)?

Strange but hey, it's men we're talking about.

Apparently (I did not know this), it goes for both men and women. Bathrooms are usually shabby just like their inhabitants. And I have been told that it is women who are more indiscreet - they show (almost) everything.

6. leroy64 profile image82
    leroy64posted 5 years ago

Possibly it's the only place their wife or girlfriend won't catch them taking a picture for a dating site. 

More likely they are just using the largest mirror they have and don't notice the background when they take the picture.  It is very common for people to focus on the subject of a photograph and ignore the background.   

It probably won't occur to most guys to use a timer on the camera and a tripod to take a picture against a blank wall.  I am assuming that these guys are not using an I Phone to take and send the pictures.   Hope that sheds a little light on the subject.

7. JBrumett profile image61
    JBrumettposted 5 years ago

If they're taking a picture of themselves in the mirror, it's probably the only mirror they have.  I'm sure they don't put much thought into it.  If it's a shot of them posing over a toilet in a full plate of armor waving a halberd around or something, I can't help you.  =-P

8. yssubramanyam profile image59
    yssubramanyamposted 5 years ago

it is the inner emotion makes a person to present in that manner. how ever bath room looks elegant than the individual. it is perhaps advertisement of tiles/interior to impress consumers. it is one of the marketing secret. good hub.

working