Does love exist?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (33 posts)
  1. profile image0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years ago

My friends always joke that I don't have a heart.

There is a story going around that I dumped one of my ex's because she told me she loved me. It is true the two things happened to be at around the same time but also, people seem to leave out this fact, she was an absolute psychopath.

She said;
    "I'd self harm if you ever left me."

I said:
    "Ok."

And I left. No way was I ever going to stick around in a relationship where I was terrorised into staying with her.

Apparently she never did self harm; instead she just spread rumours that I was a heartless b*stard around her school.

Anyway, I don't know why I digressed into that.

So yes, back to the question:
    DOES LOVE EXIST?

I have never felt love, nor have I ever told someone I love them in the eros way - only in the agapeic sense. I am beginning to think that it is just a psychological condition some people have typing themselves to another member of the human race.

This view could be because I am only 18 and still at school; who knows...anyway...

What do you hubbers think?
    Surely love at first sight is just lust? Surely people who say they're in love after dating someone for three days are lying? Surely it is just an overwelming need for companionship?

Is love real or just pointless pain?

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

love is about trial and error for most people.  very seldom few meet the girl/guy they fall in love with right off the bat.  most of us usually have to date a lot of different people and suffer heart ache a lot, until you find the right person your most compatible with.  that's why they say love is so rare, and which might be the reason its all that much more special.

however, to answer your question, yes i do believe in love, even though i have yet to find it myself to be quite honest.  my opinion is that love isn't something people know right away, it develops over time.  it starts off with mutual infatuation when you see a girl/guy that you think is attractive and enjoy being with.  then after spending a great deal of time with them like say over a year or so, give or take depending on the couple.  then those feelings of infatuation for each other develops and grows into love.  i could be wrong, but that's just my theory anyway. 

as for love at first sight, your a 100 percent right on that.  outside of films, people who fall in love at first sight are often saying that out of lust more so than feelings.

2. nigelking profile image61
      nigelkingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have only recently understood the love I have

2. Luciendasky profile image61
    Luciendaskyposted 14 years ago

While I COMPLETELY understand what you are saying and think you are making very valid points... I would have to say yes, love exists...

but I think it is something you have to work for and work on... I know what you mean about the lust and the feeling people... and I think that many forms of love will start out that way - but if the relationship (either between people who are dating or just friends in general) is worked on and people care for each other, it can grow into love.

Surely there is someone (doesn't have to be someone you are interested in dating) that you care about very deeply and would do anything to help them if necessary??

When it comes to "dating love" things can get sticky (my sister is marrying an abusive jerk she knew for 10 days before engaged) but that doesn't mean love doesn't exist ever.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

yes, andrew, love exists. you're still young. when you feel it, you will know. not just a feeling, but a deep awareness.

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

In my past experience, I say "Yes Love Exists!"

The fact that you've not experienced it yet is not a real surprise.

5. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

you will feel it and it will bring you so much joy, it will inspire you too

6. tantrum profile image62
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Yes love exists ! The thing is that the two of you feel the same, at the same time.  and make it grow at the same time ,as well.
    Which seldom occurs, I'm sorry to say.

7. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

Most certainly love exists, but don't expect it to arrive all neat and tidy in a package with a pretty bow.  It'll jump up and bite you when it arrives and catch you totally offguard.

I like your attitude about love.  You did the right thing to dump her and hopefully she'll get help before she ends up ruining a lot of years of her life and a few other's along the way.

8. Bovine Currency profile image60
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

It does if you say it so

9. Black Lilly profile image60
    Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

Does love exist? I do not know.
    I wish that feeling would be something real, but at the same time I've lived long enough and did not feel it.
    There's plenty of lust and sometimes I get a crush on someone, but that's it. Then I just get bored and start having a secret wish to move on.

When I was in late teens (18-19), I could give a very professional my own practice-based (well, always worked) advice to anyone how NOT to fall in love, not to lose your mind and keep it all in control. I felt immediately which man is "dangerous" to me and took appropriate action. I guess all this got into my blood finally, and now it would take someone very special to change it.

But I still believe that EVERY FISH HAS ITS NET.

1. profile image0

wow, thats probably the best answer i heard on this forum

10. Mrvoodoo profile image57
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

No.

But I understand why it's such a desirable belief, and one that most people would do anything to cling to.

Loneliness can be a terrible thing, and a little self-delusion can be a small price to pay to avoid it.

1. Black Lilly profile image60
      Black Lillyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hm... Everything I've written on Hubpages goes around that - self-delusion of some sort.
      But you know what? I want that.
      And, like I wrote in one of hubs: I want that dizziness, feeling DRUNK WITHOUT ALCOHOL, when someone whom I like is near.
      That's the feeling to live for.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
        Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Couldn't agree more.

It's addictive, and if I have to lie to myself, and the person I 'love' to get that feeling, in time, no doubt I will (but not yet).

I didn't believe in Santa for most of my childhood, but I was happy enough to play along if it got me some presents each year. big_smile

I hope you get that dizzy feeling in your life again soon (even if it takes a little self-delusion to achieve it). wink

Thanks wink
          It always involves a bit of self-delusion, especially with regards to intensity - haven't yet met anyone who could keep up with the level of intensity that I need.
          But - never say never.

1. profile image0
            Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

the thing that sucks is, how long can you really keep it up? how long till reality sets in, and what have you lost, at what price does love come?

Honestly, not for long. Even few months can suffice I guess.
              That's not a price for love. That's just a selection of the person right for me.
              I have lost far more compromising on this rule.

2. profile image0

i think we all wouldn't mind having  a bit of happiness in our lives even if we knew that happiness wasn't necessarily true

3. dave272727 profile image60
        dave272727posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I couldnt agree more.  I hope that you find it, it is something magical to feel.  Love does exist in my humble opinion.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
          Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do better with a love in my life than without. However, sometimes there needs to be space and sometimes you need to clear out your head and heart to find *you* again. I think that's where I'm at. Finding me again. Presently single.

That being said, I think eros love will hit you soon enough. It will find you, Luke.

1. myownworld profile image75
            myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes, love...but with 'space' to love is the best place to be in.....! wink

11. myownworld profile image75
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

yes...to love...and then to have it reciprocated with the same intensity...now THAT is the real thing...! (the rest mostly amounts to crushes and infatuations that one just gets over pretty quick)

12. profile image0
    Maximus591posted 14 years ago

There is a science to love.

Physical changes occur in the body when someone is in love. Pleasure chemicals are released in the brain. All this has been studied. So, yes does love exist.

The only person who would ask 'Does love exist?' is someone who has never experienced love. That must be you.

13. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

It does.

14. Hanna Bambina profile image61
    Hanna Bambinaposted 14 years ago

Love exists; but it takes time and energy.

15. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 14 years ago

Having felt this many a time at different levels of maturity, let me assure you that love does exist. Sometimes, it can have psychotic ramifications, which is why I always recommend being mentally sound to begin with if it can be helped. Love at first sight exists, too. You can tell the difference between that and lust because the feelings get progressively LESS intense after the initial meeting if it's lust, as opposed to more.

16. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

Love is true, powerfule feeling,,,it can be felt, you know when you have it when you do things that you feel you cant do or havent done before....it gives inspiration, hope and you want to become a better person

Love can change the world and can destroy it too

17. secondreview profile image61
    secondreviewposted 14 years ago

Love exists in many forms and it's a different love for each person that means something to you.   The most powerful love is the flesh of my flesh, bones of my bones type of love that never dies.

18. Brian Leighton profile image57
    Brian Leightonposted 14 years ago

Yes, Love exists and unfortunately as part of human nature it is usually taken for granted until it is no more.

Love should never be confused with Lust.

19. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

I think Love...like all things on the planet...needs to be scheduled for a tune-up or overhaul...depending upon the last time it was in for a check-up! big_smile

20. Highvoltagewriter profile image67
    Highvoltagewriterposted 14 years ago

I know that hate is real so that must mean that the Opposite emotion is also real...it is sad that hate seems to be a emotion that is easiest to experience...I hate that about hate!(LOL) big_smile

21. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

Yes, because the human heart does.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)