jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What is an appropriate monetary wedding gift for a friend these days?

1. cardelean profile image93
    cardeleanposted 5 years ago

What is an appropriate monetary wedding gift for a friend these days?

A friend recently asked me what is considered a typical amount of money to include in a card as a wedding gift.  I realized that years ago when I got married, I knew the answer to this, but having been out of that for a while, I am not really sure.  This would not be for a very close friend or family member.

2. KevinC9998 profile image77
    KevinC9998posted 5 years ago

It really depends on a number of factors. Some examples would be the cost of the venue, how close you are to the couple and most importantly, how much you can afford!  Good luck.

3. Millionaire Tips profile image94
    Millionaire Tipsposted 5 years ago

It really depends on so many different things - the general economy of your city, and the wealth / generosity of your group of friends. It also depends on how many gifts you have to give out - when there are a lot of weddings in one summer, it makes it less affordable to go all out on any one person.

I read on the radio that $100 was a good gift, but there is no way I could afford something like that.  Among my friends, it is generally around $25.  I would give $50 if I could afford it to people I am closer to.  Generally, you should give about how much you generally give to your (not immediate) family and friends for their birthday or holiday.

You want to give a gift that shows your well wishes without going broke.  Make sure you wrap it really prettily and take care in choosing a great card.
    After all, it shouldn't be the money that matters.

4. mrsgray profile image59
    mrsgrayposted 5 years ago

I recently got married and we averaged $50-$100 per card.  Definily more then we expected.  I personally would think $50 would work, or look at the cost of a dinner for 2 at a nice restaraunt.

1. teaches12345 profile image97
      teaches12345posted 5 years agoin reply to this

It's nice to hear feedback from a newlywed on this question.  I think gift cards are so much the wiser choice these days and $50 sounds so reasonable.

5. Alaina Smith Cain profile image60
    Alaina Smith Cainposted 4 years ago

Give enough money to get a "quickie" divorce but don't tell them that's what it's for.

working