jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)

If given a large sum of money which you had to donate to charity which one would

1. Charlu profile image82
    Charluposted 5 years ago

If given a large sum of money which you had to donate to charity which one would it be and why?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7102060_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

I would donate it to St. Judes cancer center for the children with cancer. I pray to God there is soon a cure so these (Babies) don't have to suffer any longer.

Charluposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What an awesome place and what a miracle it would be to not see them suffer anymore.  Love your choice.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh how I pray for a cure for this cruel disease that has no age limit to who it strikes.

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Only one charity? I would distribute the money in three or four if possible. One for cancer, another for scholarships, one a church, and another for the homeless.

All great causes and I can't imagine how grateful the homeless would be.

4. mvillecat profile image78
    mvillecatposted 5 years ago

My local humane society because it has a long history of doing great work in our community. I know the people who run it and have volunteered with them for many years and know firsthand the good they do.

A choice I admire being an animal nut, and I do mean nut. So many of them work so hard and receive such little credit other than the lives they save.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Probably St. Judes.  I hate to think of children suffering and anything I could do to alleviate that would be great.

Such a worthy cause to so many children and families in need without the necessary funds to do it.

6. jlpark profile image85
    jlparkposted 5 years ago

Several :
    - the Southern Poverty Law Centre - fighting to change awareness of bullying in school by providing education for those schools, and going in to help change policies if they need help to reduce the bullying - for any reason.
    - AIDS/HIV Foundations / LGBT Hospices (for blood borne illness, cancer or any other terminal illness)
    - Youthline/Rainbow Youth/Lifeline here in NZ
    - Rape Crisis centre/lines

Things close to my heart, and well....there but for the Grace of God go I...really.

Wow such worthy charities and how true but for the Grace of God go I.  I think sometimes we need to remember that more often and give thanks.

7. christinekv profile image75
    christinekvposted 5 years ago

Iburmaster is right about how there are several good charities to choose from so narrowing it down to one can indeed be challenging!  The first one that came to my mind however was World Vision. This may have to do with my being drawn to overseas Missions (even though I have not been on one yet - supporting the work of those who can go is the next best thing). World Vision's focus, if I recall correctly, is to help in those in areas of the world which are lacking things such as clean drinking water, food etc.  They do a lot in Africa and if I'm not mistaken, they also provide disaster relief.

It's hard to imagine that there are actually families and children that do not have clean drinking water, sad but so very true.  Excellent choice

8. smeyerz profile image60
    smeyerzposted 5 years ago

American Cancer Society - They distribute the money they get to good causes for finding cures, and helping people currently diagnosed with cancer.

The millions of lives they help on a regular basis is just astronomical and they create such a miracle for so many (well with some help from the big guy upstairs).

9. SidKemp profile image95
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

Picking just one, I would choose Charity: Water. Of all that I have evaluated, it provides the most per dollar - wells that last decades for people who don't have healthy water to drink, and the villages can maintain the wells over the long term.

Others to consider, globally: Jane Goodall's foundation that encourages local communities to learn love and cooperation by caring for endagered species; Doctors Without Borders (Medecins Sans Frontiers); and microcredit groups.

Locally, I would look to charities that cooperate across religions to provide help for the neediest. In South Florida, Boca Helping Hands is a good candidate.

Why? I believe in working both globally and locally. Also, I believe in providing the basics (drinkable water, sanitation, food) first. I avoid many charities that others like because I believe that they mean well, but they miss the best solutions. For example, The American Cancer Society has done great work, but missed supporting several inexpensive preventions and remedies for cancer that are much more available and affordable, if they were only known. Such organizations could be 10 or 100 times more powerful if they did unbiased research into solutions.

I love the fact that you have researched these charities as to which ones give the most per dollar.  They are all excellent picks and I especially like Doctors Without Borders and Helping Hands.

working