jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Have you recognized a personality trait or your own and realized it's just like

1. Charlu profile image82
    Charluposted 5 years ago

Have you recognized a personality trait or your own and realized it's just like one of your parents?

Good, bad, or indifferent it happens all the time.  Sometimes we want to be just like our parents, and at other times cringe at the thought.  Have you ever noticed something you have done or a way you have acted in a situation and suddenly realized you were just like them? What was it and were you happy or aggravated about it?

2. kathyjones1952@at profile image61
    kathyjones1952@atposted 5 years ago

I have always been like my daddy.  I have so many of his ways!  Sometimes I'm happy about this and sometimes I'm not.  I guess it depends on the situation and how I reacted, what kind of mood I was in, etc.

3. teaches12345 profile image96
    teaches12345posted 5 years ago

I have some of my parents' traits.  Guess it comes from observing good role models. When I notice a bad trait inherited, I address it and try to change. For instance, being skeptical of a new person's ideas.  I have learned to listen, analyze the thoughts, before forming an opinion.

4. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Yes. Neurotic and Introvert. I'm fine partially being like my parents. But there are some factors that I never even want to be close in copying.

5. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Yes, I definitely have several OCD traits that my Father has as well. I also have the anxiety traits from my Mother.

6. kallini2010 profile image82
    kallini2010posted 5 years ago

I think it is simple and complicated at the same time.  As far as the personality type goes (and I am not sure because I went through personality analysis and my parents did not), but it seems to me that while I happened to be born an Intuitive, they are both Sensors.  So we see the world differently.  Maybe this paragraph makes more sense to those who are familiar with psychology or at least Myers-Briggs personality parameters.

Extraversion versus intraversion would seem to be more understandable for the majority of people, but here is the surprising fact about me - for about thirty-odd years I was convinced I was an introvert just like my mother.  I tended to copy her behaviour more than my dad's.  I married an introvert.  But in the end, it turned out to be that I am an extravert just like my father and I misdirected my efforts in trying to find the sources of energy.  I should have never let other people "imprison" me at home.

Maybe I am thinking more along the lines of Nature versus Nurture and how understanding ourselves helps us realize our potential and helps us understand other people.

So, my question (a counter question) would be what traits we have are part of our natural make-up and what traits are only a result of our upbringing?

Being just like my mother sometimes is frustrating - she is very reactive, over-reactive, she will scream at the slightest provocation and I am not like that, but after hearing a few "concerts", all of a sudden, I realize I start screaming as well.

How is that, for "monkey see, monkey do"?

On the other part, there are certain traits that my parents have and I find them admirable, but I just cannot seem to "inherit" or "imitate" them no matter how I try.

1. Charlu profile image82
      Charluposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Excellent counter question why don't you ask it to under answers and see what type of responses it brings.  i think for myself that a lot of my personality was from trial and error Having to become very strong, very fast brought out the driver in me