jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Is marriage obsolete in the 21st Century?

1. SEXYLADYDEE profile image69
    SEXYLADYDEEposted 5 years ago

Is marriage obsolete in the 21st Century?

Since women are no longer chattel (in the USA) nor do they secure property or increase land ownership, why is marriage even necessary?

2. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

You only think of marriage in business terms? I really hope you don't. Marriage isn't about money, it's a bond to keep two people together for a really long time. For some, the marriage lasts a life time. For others, the marriage lasts 20 years. It is two people saying "I want to be with this person for years to come". Marriage shouldn't have anything to do with property or increase ownership. Yes, for the reasons you mentioned above, marriage is obsolete in the 21st century.

SEXYLADYDEEposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Those were the original "historic" reasons for marriage. Nothing to do with my personal beliefs. Your reasoning sounds good to me.

2. profile image0
      CJ Sledgehammerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Outstanding reply, Iburmaster...my compliments!!! :0)

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

It's been reported that 2 million weddings take place each year in the U.S. Marriage is a lifestyle (choice). It's not "necessary". Each of us is free to live life on our own terms. If someone is pressuring their man/woman to get married and they don't want to then they have to acknowledge they don't want the same thing. I never understood why anyone would want to marry someone who did NOT want to marry them!
    All marriages will have their share of challenges but at the very least a marriage should start off with BOTH people wanting to get married.

There is no amount of "communication" or "work" that can overcome being with someone who does not want what you want.  Awhile back I wrote a hub regarding "commitment without marriage. I personally believe it is possible. http://dashingscorpio.hubpages.com/hub/ … itpossible

SEXYLADYDEEposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have commitment with out marriage so it's feasible. Sometimes people want to marry to fulfill a cultural norm. It wasn't that I didn't want to marry him. It's that I didn't want to be married. As an institution it is cracked.

4. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 5 years ago

No...marriage isn't obsolete, but many people have no clue what it is, why it is or how it should be.

Now, it may seem "obsolete" to those who marry for all the wrong reasons and marry all the wrong kinds of people.

Having said that, I would dare say that only 10% of those who actually get married have what it takes to succeed in marriage - the rest are a bunch of pretenders.

working