jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

Why do we focus more on hearing and not listening?

1. ReneeDC1979 profile image62
    ReneeDC1979posted 5 years ago

Why do we focus more on hearing and not listening?

In general, we hear what people say, but we do not really listen.  We hear certain cues or key words that hit a part of our brain, and we find ways to turn the conversation into an "All About Me" topic.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7506525_f260.jpg

2. NornsMercy profile image60
    NornsMercyposted 5 years ago

Your summary actually says what I was gonna say. People wait for others to stop talking before they begin saying what they were thinking about the whole time the other person was talking... they think it's more polite but I think it's just as bad because it's false... at least with an interruption the other person isn't wasting their breath.

ReneeDC1979posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well said NornsMercy.  Thanks for stopping by.

3. Beege215e profile image67
    Beege215eposted 5 years ago

Hearing is easy, it comes naturally to most.  Listening is work and most are lazy.  If some truly listen, hear what you are saying and it confuses them or is perhaps a serious subject, they find it easier to relate if it is somehow connected to something they have seen, heard before, or experienced. So it does become a "all about me" because it was identified and processed that way.  It was easier to figure it out because in some past way I related to what you said.  And I can respond to you by quoting my experience- or my life -or my -or my---- or my.  And then I don't have to be worried about how it affects you and deal with your problem, I can just tell you how smart I was to solve mine. Very easy
    And then there are the good ones; -- they lear your words, read your face, listen to your emotions and wait until you are done before they jump into the conversation with something that might truly be helpful.

Thank yoy Beege215e, so true.  I especually love your saying, "it was easier to figure out because in some past wat I related my experience to it."

4. Cristale profile image85
    Cristaleposted 5 years ago

The world is selfish and narcissistic, so they believe every thing is all about them. This includes conversations and socializing with other people.

Thanks for stopping by Cristale and commenting.

5. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

In my experiences, For people to really listen it has to be something they really want to know. Take for instance church, How many do you think sit through the whole service, but when asked can tell you what the sermon pertained to? It basically boils down to selfishness. People want others to listen to them, but if something that doesn't concern them or directly affects them or something they do not want to hear, they normally do not listen. I think we are all guilty of this at times.

Great point JThomp42 - as useful.  Thanks for stopping by.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Renee. Happy new year!!

3. ReneeDC1979 profile image62

YOU TOO!

6. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

Hearing like (touch) or (sight) does not require us to pay attention. Oftentimes when we (claim) we did not "hear" what someone said it is not because they did not say it (loud) enough it's because we were not "paying attention" or (listening). Hearing is strictly about the decibels of sound waves. Hearing requires no effort on our part.
    Listening, observing, and reasoning requires (effort) on our part. Given the choice between expending energy or relaxing most people would opt to relax. :-)

Thanks for stopping by dashingscorpio.  The fact people would choose no effort 90% of the time, says alot about people in general.

working