jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (13 posts)

What do you do when you feel lonely?

1. rumanasaiyed profile image79
    rumanasaiyedposted 5 years ago

What do you do when you feel lonely?

I am living with my husband (away from my family), so many a times I feel very lonely. I accompany myself with books, games to get rid of loneliness. What do you do?

2. amadarsal profile image56
    amadarsalposted 5 years ago

When I am lonely and hurt I seek refuge by sleeping as I can always sleep. I also do some gardening and I spend more time with people I know. When you are hurt it helps to try to surround yourself with friends and people you like.
    I do not have a problem being lonely but I sometimes fear and
    lack confidence to do certain things in life.
    To get rid of loneliness I just remind myself of the inner peace and happiness I have attained through sleeping.

3. Vacation Trip profile image71
    Vacation Tripposted 5 years ago

Though I am never lonely as my parents and my dear ones are always with me but still when I feel lonely. I listen to music or read books or cook something.

4. dghbrh profile image79
    dghbrhposted 5 years ago

I just enjoy being alone from the time i can remember. I just need that 'me time' always to think and just think. I love to just lie down and feel, hear the sound of silence. Enjoy the silence around and slowly get lost in my own world of thoughts. Sometimes even i love music around in a very low sound but so that it do not disturb my thought process. Then i like to write also but not to avoid loneliness rather to feel and enjoy it. But with a growing 12 year old son, hubby, my job i hardly get time to be lonely .....LOL.
    Anyways try to enjoy your time being lonely because very soon you may not be able to be in this kind of situation even though you may seek then. God bless and thank you.

rumanasaiyedposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Very true deergha, we should try to enjoy each and  every moments.

5. Sri T profile image81
    Sri Tposted 5 years ago

I haven't had the feeling of loneliness or boredom in over 20 years. I was awakened to a new understanding. Back then I needed  the love and kindness of others to feel happy.  At least I thought I did. After discovering that the source of peace, love and joy was already within me, I never needed to depend on others ever again. The turning point was the understanding that everything comes from inside. All bliss comes from within. Others may be kind, or say and do nice things but that only triggers the joy that is already within you. That all comes and goes. Nothing external can give happiness.  The ocean of love and happiness is always coming from within and it is infinite and complete.

rumanasaiyedposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Great reply, Sri T !!

6. ChitrangadaSharan profile image54
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 5 years ago

I always keep myself busy. Though there are times when I am all alone, but I do not allow myself to be lonely. There is so much to do, so much to learn. Writing, reading, music, always trying to learn new facts and things keep me busy, mentally and physically.

7. padmendra profile image46
    padmendraposted 5 years ago

Some of the tips to fight loneliness when your loved one is away from you are here. If we definitely want to be with the happiness again, we think we can defeat the tendency of being lonely just because of a reason that the person with whom you are emotionally linked is away from you:
    a) if you are really happy with the person with whom you are emotionally linked, you can not feel to be lonely as his/her sweet memories are always there with you.
    b) we have been taught that we should love ourselves first and if we do it ,fighting with loneliness will always be easy and of course in our favor.
    c)every human being has a dream in life, no matter it is fulfilled or not but sometime when we are alone we play with our dreams in our loneliness moments for imaginary satisfaction.
    d)happy moments spent with your near and dear ones are the source of energizing your confidence at such critical moments of life.
    e)never go back to your past sad moments as it would make you more unhappy.
    f)if the loneliness is due to any other reason, one can engage himself/herself in any of the creative work  for which creative thinking needs to be developed.

Thus life only becomes beautiful when we have confidence in us, trust in the relationship and we give pure and transparent love, understanding and priority to the relation who only lives in the world for us. And if we do it, we would never fail to express the kind of feelings which is rich in every aspect and which they deserve and I think there will be no body glad as we are.

8. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Play piano as a hobby. But what really helps is turning on the radio station when I clean the house or cook dinner. The silence is what I can't stand the most. However, I'm always talking to my family, either on Facebook (my mom and sister got me addicted to Farmville) or just giving them a quick phone call every now and again.
    I completely understand. My husband grew up an only child while I had two other very loud siblings. It's so sad but cute whenever he tries to visit them. He never knows what to do and I wish he wouldn't stress about it so much. It's just a family! Though they do bite...

9. MissJamieD profile image72
    MissJamieDposted 5 years ago

I also like to read when lonely. Otherwise I write, call a friend, or take a nap. These days everyone is so very busy that a nap is comparable to gold.

But on those days when you're depressed and lonely, that can be an entirely different kind of lonely. I'd still attempt to read or call a friend or family member, but outside of that (I've lived half across the country from my family in the past), I would go window shopping, go for a walk, or have lunch or coffee by myself. I like to watch passers-by and just imagine who they are and where they come from. I daydream about what they do for a living and who they are at home. Do they have children, a wife/husband, what do they drive? Are THEY lonely right now?

I'm kind of goofy like that but going to a mall almost always makes me happier and let me just say that I don't usually have money to go shopping but I'll buy myself a pretzel and enjoy the scenery. if you don't have that luxury then maybe just take a walk and enjoy nature, introduce yourself to your neighbors if you haven't already, volunteer at the local food shelf or something of that nature.

10. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

Fill yourself with love.

Help others. Give. Be generous. Decide to be happy.

You create your own feelings -- all of them. The decision is entirely yours.

Don't let circumstances dictate what you create for yourself and for others.

11. profile image51
    rameschgfposted 5 years ago