jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How would YOU react....

1. windygreen profile image61
    windygreenposted 4 years ago

How would YOU react....

Your brother/sister is out of a job and broke AGAIN.  Do you let him/her move in with you and your family ?  Do you loan him/her money to help out?

2. MarieAlana1 profile image71
    MarieAlana1posted 4 years ago

I would let him/her move in for a maximum of a month, but I would make certain that they know it is only for a month. I would help them find a place of their own, a job, and the means necessary. I might help them with furnishings as well, but ultimately it has to be tough love.

3. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 4 years ago

It is wiser to teach him how to help himself instead of rely on you. Many people  tend to take for granted when there is help available easily.

My motto in life is to teach people how to survive on their own instead of giving out help in charity.

4. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 4 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7740123_f260.jpg

I would welcome into your home and instruct him on how to change/gain both his independence and long-term employment. It is not easy because most externalize and do not realize that it is usually our actions that manifest this issue and not simply lack of money... However, do not discount that a short term solution is not the answer. Sometimes, it is a few years of college that will indeed resolve this issue... By supporting him/her and instructing not only will there be an adequate solution; more importantly the bond of love between you and your sibling will be optimized. I believe that is significantly important... Thus limiting his/her time with you to 1 month will not necessarily resolve the issue...

5. Theophanes profile image98
    Theophanesposted 4 years ago

Everyone is subject to falling on hard times. If this is just one of those one-offs then by all means it'd be OK. However there are a lot of individuals that are complete users. They will not take care of themselves or their lives so long as someone else is taking care of it for them. These people do not change and for the sake of sanity it's best not to allow them into your life in such a way. Call it tough love if you will. I know it's hard sometimes but it's just better this way.

working