Men, do you prefer women who wear makeup, or women who go for a natural look?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (38 posts)
  1. lilmissmontana profile image78
    lilmissmontanaposted 11 years ago

Men, do you prefer women who wear makeup, or women who go for a natural look?

I love to wear makeup, but after years of doing it, I don't feel like I look like a clown and I receive a lot of compliments on my makeup. However, I have had many people tell me I wear too much?

What is your preference, makeup or no makeup?

2. SidKemp profile image84
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

This is just my preference, but I prefer either no makeup, or just a little to enhance the natural look (especially if going out someplace fancy). I think a woman who has worn a lot of makeup in the past may find that, in going more natural, the compliments will change. Instead of compliments on your makeup, you're likely to get compliments on how *you* look!

One exception: If going for an exotic look, such as putting your hair in a purple mohawk, makeup to match is expected!

lilmissmontanaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely! I don't think a woman should look like a circus act. She she look classy, unless going for a dramatic look for a reason. Going to bar, I wear a more dramatic look than I would if I was going to a fancy dinner.

3. BraidedZero profile image85
    BraidedZeroposted 11 years ago

My wife does not wear makeup and I love that about her. The only time she ever wears it is when she wants to "doll up". I think natural beauty vastly outweighs "fake" beauty. Not saying people who wear makeup are fake, but it can be a source to cover up bad characteristics, which is kind of lying about your looks. Makeup can also play the other way and accentuate great characteristics but use it in moderation. Natural beauty for the win.

I beg to differ. I wear baggy clothes every once in a while because they are comfy, not to cover up a bad body. I think I look decent without makeup, I just like myself more when I have it on.

2. BraidedZero profile image85
      BraidedZeroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Right. You do not wear the makeup because it is more comfortable, you wear it because it enhances your features. And I would never assume someone wearing baggy pants was trying to cover up their body... but that is just me.

3. lilmissmontana profile image78

Well, I think many people do assume that, especially when females do it. Most females wear form fitting clothing to ENHANCE their body shape, but I occasionally love to be lazy and wear clothes that are three sizes too big.

4. BraidedZero profile image85
      BraidedZeroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I guess it would be the expected assumption from most people. But that's where you should do what you want because you enjoy it. My wife wears baggy clothes all the time because she feels like being lazy. Doesn't make her less attractive at all.

5. lilmissmontana profile image78

Well, then you are among the respectable men. Some men want their wives/girlfriends to always be "dolled up" for them. I knew a guy that broke up with his girlfriend because of the way she looked in the morning when she first woke up. Very shallow.

4. lilmissmontana profile image78
    lilmissmontanaposted 11 years ago

I think one reason you men don't like makeup as much, is because you don't understand it. To you, it covers up a face, it takes a long time to put on and it's expensive. (I have been told all those things by previous boyfriends). Does that make sense? Could this be one of the reasons?

5. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

It all depends on the woman and the makeup. If she uses it sparingly to enhance her natural features there is nothing wrong with it. On the other hand if she is wearing a full on MASK or heavy caked on bright colored goo, that is not so good. Also skip the glitter! :-)

Really?!?! I LOVE glitter. I wear it pretty regularly. Not crazy kid glitter, but I do use it and have a lot of it.

2. SidKemp profile image84
      SidKempposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There's a time for glitter and even costumes. Maybe Faerie Worlds? See Parks McCard's photos at http://parksmccants.hubpages.com/hub/Or … orlds-2012 /

3. dashingscorpio profile image80
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A woman in her 30s, 40s and beyond really should let go of the "glitter days" unless it's for a costume. One man's opinion! :-)
      Thankfully there is someone for everyone!

4. lilmissmontana profile image78

Thankfully for myself, I'm only 22. =]

5. SidKemp profile image84
      SidKempposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My wife is 52 and she used glitter nail polish last week - at a costume party, dressed as a college student. (She's a professor.)

6. lilmissmontana profile image78

That's awesome! Very cliche (college student wearing glitter nail polish). I love it.

6. greencha profile image62
    greenchaposted 11 years ago

Just a gentle touch of natural make up,not too scenty and gentle shades to enhance nice feature.But prefarably the natural look.Shaving hair from parts of the body is not necessarily that sexy. As natural as poss.

1. greencha profile image62
      greenchaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

PS Seems you are naturally attractive,why ruin it with loads of paint and chemicals?

2. lilmissmontana profile image78

I don't use chemicals. I use BareMinerals, which is a mineral makeup. It looks more natural and is good for your skin. And I do it because I like it, and I feel good when I take the time to do my hair and put makeup on.

7. ketage profile image82
    ketageposted 11 years ago

Personally i think a women looks good when she feels confident.
    With or without makeup, She is still the same person.
    Of course I assume we are not talking about extremes here. Because if it is an extreme case of one inch of makeup or the natural look. I vote for natural.

Thank you for a wonderful answer! Confidence is key and I think you are absolutely right. A woman who feels comfortable and is happy with herself, is beautiful no matter how she looks.

8. reddview profile image60
    reddviewposted 11 years ago

i would definitely prefer a no makeup woman.....after all when you meet someone right you have to accept them truly ......but it is the duty of both spouses to dress up nicely and appear attractive to their counterpart ..... maybe then makeup would be the suitable choice......but someone who does heavy makeup all the time....... my heart just doesnt feel it smile

I agree with you. I have been in a relationship for almost 3 years, and I like to dress up and put on makeup so that he knows I still want to look attractive to him and impress him.

9. Darren Owens profile image60
    Darren Owensposted 11 years ago

I prefer a woman who goes with her natural look most of the time, but it doesn't bother me if she decides to wear makeup every now and then. I actually like it. So I like both, but I don't really care for the glitter.

I think this is a good way to look at it! Natural is best many times. I don't wear makeup a lot of the time on the days I workout because it's pointless. But on my 2 days off, I get dressed up

2. Darren Owens profile image60
      Darren Owensposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That seems like a good balance to me!

10. vinayt89 profile image61
    vinayt89posted 11 years ago

Definitely NO MAKEUP.
    Because beauty lies in your sole.
    I personally feel that every person is special, and if you are using makeup then you are hiding your specialty given by nature.

People(specially men) get amazed by seeing natural beauty but not the makeup one.

Do you find celebrities attractive? Ever seen a movie where you thought, "Wow that girl has a gorgeous face". Those women wear makeup. To enhance their natural beauty! I think that is key. Not overdoing it, just playing up your looks.

2. reddview profile image60
      reddviewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

im gonna go with lilmissmontana on this one smile

3. lilmissmontana profile image78

Thanks!

4. vinayt89 profile image61
      vinayt89posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I never feel someone attractive unless she is really pretty. Makeup cannot change my mind, it can only confuse me(for short period of time). No matter how much you do makeup no one will say WOW if you are naturally not beautiful I bet you.........

5. vivek777 profile image59
      vivek777posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think beauty is just skin deepness....if u peel off the skin every one is same....So makeups are just to polish your skin

11. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 11 years ago

I'm partial to eyeliner. I don't have strong feelings towards any other kind of makeup, but I think eyeliner is really sexy. Having said that, my wife rarely wears makeup and I still think she's beautiful without it.

12. nijineko profile image81
    nijinekoposted 11 years ago

I can appreciate the aesthetics and artistry involved in an application of makeup, be it simple or exotic. I have applied make-up to another that was considered so striking, that they wore it for the rest of the day and apparently received many compliments thereupon.

I recall one experience of my own where I was involved in a theater production, and was out in the halls between acts still in make-up. Some people who knew me walked by, stopped dead, did a double take, and completely checked me out. Then they realized it was me, embarrassedly commented that the make up actually made me look good for once, and hurried away. I was not popular as a youth; book-worm recluse type designated as "weird".

I confess however, that I prefer no makeup. The reason is quite simple. Make up tastes bad, and masks the natural scent.

Makeup is certainly an art and takes much practice to understand contouring. Yes. makeup does taste bad and it has a weird smell. I suppose just one more thing I do, I wear perfume.

13. Raitu Disong profile image61
    Raitu Disongposted 11 years ago

I would go for the second one. You are beautiful just the way you are. Little make up is fine... keep smiling:)

14. celafoe profile image54
    celafoeposted 11 years ago

no makeup for me I like the natural women not the painted tart

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)