Have you ever kept a child support journal?

1. joanwz profile image75
    joanwzposted 4 years ago

Have you ever kept  a child support journal?

What information did you keep track of?

2. flacoinohio profile image79
    flacoinohioposted 4 years ago

Yes, I have simply because I was given a run around with every issue i had and I was an interstate case, meaning I had two different state CSE agencies to deal with. All documentation received from CSE and copies of all documents sent to CSE should be kept for at least 7 years after the 18 birthday of a dependent child.  An accurate log of all telephone and e-mail contact.  This should include dates, times, and names and/or employee numbers of persons spoken to.  Include reason for contact and the outcome of the communication.  Include dates and times for follow-up contact for unanswered questions or unresolved issues.  Keep track of all communications and the responses to requests for a modification or an audit.  CSE is known for attempting to not allow non-custodial parents to request modifications or audits.   Keep track of all instances where a CSE staff or case manager refuses to provide information, initiate requests for modification or audit, or gives you a personal opinion what your support obligation should be or what actions they feel you should be taking to meet your support obligation.  You should also keep track of any support payments (returned checks) made to obligor prior to having to pay support to CSE.  Keep track of all in kind payments made to obligor in addition to child support.  CSE like to call payments made to custodial parent prior to their involvement "gifts" especially if they claim you owe an arrearment.  You will need to prove you paid support before you were in assigned to CSE.  If you have to make an extra payment to custodial parent in addition to the regular monthly payment, send it through CSE and keep track of it as well.

1. joanwz profile image75
      joanwzposted 4 years agoin reply to this

THanks for this information. You mentioned some things I hadn't thought of (the interstate issues), which could certainly be useful.

working