jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)

What are the differences between followers and leaders?

1. midget38 profile image92
    midget38posted 4 years ago

What are the differences between followers and leaders?

2. WalterPoon profile image80
    WalterPoonposted 4 years ago

Is that a trick question? Hmmmm, let me try... the difference is in the spelling, right?

Okay, okay, I guess you must be asking about the differences between the qualities of a follower, and that of a leader. To me, a leader must has vision, drive, determination, a healthy dose of ego, and the ability to influence people. If anyone does not have these qualities, they become followers. Followers don't need to have anything. They don't even need a brain because they just follow. Is it any surprise that they are called "follow"ers?

3. TNT Husky profile image70
    TNT Huskyposted 4 years ago

Encouragement. A leader encourages people, makes them want to follow them, where as a follower isn't as worried about encouragement. they just want the work done, like everyone else. A leader and follower can have all of the exact same qualities, but in the end, a leader will encourage people to do what needs done, and a follower will just get it done. at least, that's my opinion.

1. WalterPoon profile image80
      WalterPoonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

TNT, you miss out on ego.

"There’s a world of difference between a strong ego, which is essential, and a large ego,which is destructive." -- Lee Iacocca.

But to me, all leaders have one or the other. Those that don't are called reluctant leaders.

2. TNT Husky profile image70
      TNT Huskyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I don't think I did, in fact, looking at it, I don't think I answered the question properly, rather I just listed off some of the things a leader did, as opposed to what separates them. but even if i did, I've been wrong before.

4. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

Leaders believe they have the best ideas for moving a project forward. They also have the drive/ambition to shape an outcome. Their ego is large enough to want to be out in front or on center stage to be the hero or the goat.
    Followers want to hide in the pack or go unnoticed. They want to avoid the spotlight and all of the scrutiny that comes with being out in front. During massive failures it's the leaders/coaches that are fired.
    One is not necessarily better than the other. You need both to succeed. Those who are unhappy with their roles are generally the "reluctant leader" who was forced or pushed into their position by circumstances beyond their control, and the follower who (thinks) he should be the leader but got a raw deal in life.

5. nasser deep profile image76
    nasser deepposted 4 years ago

Leaders see the sunrise when followers see the night's darkness. This is how leaders keep pulling forward when followers ask why bother.

6. taburkett profile image61
    taburkettposted 4 years ago

Action and Movement.
    Leaders are movers and shakers who take action generating an act of moving.
    Followers react to the action and generate support of the action.

7. janetwrites profile image85
    janetwritesposted 4 years ago

I would also say that leaders act and followers react.

1. WalterPoon profile image80
      WalterPoonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Janetwrites, I agree with you as to what leaders are. But do all followers follow their leader? Apparently not... many follow the followers, LOL. Put another way, some followers are also leaders... they act and react.

8. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 4 years ago

How about a nice short answer?   Leaders are bright, motivational & energetic.  Followers are happy, agreeable helpers.  This may be very basic, but it explains the main difference.  The long, involved answer could go on and on forever!  Good question!

9. kkemper1 profile image61
    kkemper1posted 3 years ago

I just answered this; it is the reverse of the query below;

Easy as pie; This is a management query that comes up every day

in every company;

a manager is a hired position, HOPEFULLY with someone

who is skilled and compassionate and exciting.

a Leader has speaking energy, enthusiasm and wishes to have a following.

Few leaders want to be RESPONSIBLE FOR leading

but all managers NEED to be responsible for managing.

ALL managers strive to be leaders........a few make it.

I have never ever seen a leader who cares for the responsibility of

management.

working