jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can I use pictures from my sons wedding, or does the photographer own them?

1. rtburroughs2 profile image80
    rtburroughs2posted 4 years ago

Can I use pictures from my sons wedding, or does the photographer own them?

2. xkamronx profile image59
    xkamronxposted 4 years ago

Depends on the photographer, but usually you get a release because you paid for the photos to be taken, allowing you to use them.

Again, depending on the photographer, you may have to leave the watermark/logo on the photo. Ask them if you're not sure! smile

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

If you didn't sign any paperwork saying you couldn't use them in any way to make a profit, I'd think it's acceptable. I said that, because if you have AdSense or the other programs, you're considered writing for a profit. If you don't remember what the photographer said, you can always call and ask. You don't have to, but if there are no restrictions, I'd still list the photographers name as the source to give him/her some recognition and, possibly, drive some business to him/her.

4. junkseller profile image85
    junksellerposted 4 years ago

The photographer almost certainly owns them, unless the photographer specifically gave up their copyright on them. The photographer most likely also has an agreement with the couple that allows them to use the photographs and specifies how they can use them, share them, etc., but the photographer still owns them, not the couple. The couple is just given permission to use them. That agreement might include being allowed to share them with friends and family on social media and blogs, but you would have to check to be sure. There will also likely be a requirement that the images not be altered, give proper attribution, maintain watermarks, etc.

This is applicable to America. Other places do copyright differently.

5. Shyron E Shenko profile image81
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 4 years ago

It would seem to me that if you boutght the photos, they belong to you and you can do whatever you want to with them.
    Just my own Idea.