jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Does absence really make the heart grow fonder?

1. Cristale profile image85
    Cristaleposted 3 years ago

Does absence really make the heart grow fonder?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8799888_f260.jpg

2. Bk42author profile image81
    Bk42authorposted 3 years ago

I think more people stay apart, the more become disconnected. There may be times when you haven't seen the person for a long time and you start to build them up in your into something more beautiful, interesting, thoughtful, etc. than they actually were. However, that's more an illusion than anything else.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

I'm not certain if absence actually makes the heart grow fonder. However I believe absence can cause one to 'romanticize the past'.
    Even when people leave abusive relationships they're often prone to only remember the 'good times' when considering reuniting with an ex. On the other hand if things were great when you were together it's natural for one to miss not having that person around and look forward to reuniting. Like having ice cream after going without it.
    However if one was tired or bored with their significant other I doubt their absence causes the heart to grow fonder but instead gives them a "second wind" to cope better. The absence was needed to keep them from the breaking point like taking a vacation from work.

1. Bk42author profile image81
      Bk42authorposted 3 years agoin reply to this

"Romanticize the past" - that's the expression I was looking for! Haha...my brain's not functioning today and that's what I was trying to get across on my post. I completely agree, dashingscorpio.

4. profile image0
    Wanderingsposted 3 years ago

I do agree with dashingscorpio to a certain extent. However, I think this phrase develops from the idea that once you are separated from someone you realize how much you miss/need them.
    You can tell someone is special because you may be separated from many people (ie. when you move away from home) but you miss some more than others. You start to think and admire the qualities of the person you miss.

working