jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Should You Friend Your Boss on Facebook?

1. demurebyj profile image39
    demurebyjposted 3 years ago

Should You Friend Your Boss on Facebook?

2. Link10103 profile image76
    Link10103posted 3 years ago

If you get along great with them, I don't really see the problem unless it violates some policy.

Otherwise, I would advise against it.

3. misterhollywood profile image95
    misterhollywoodposted 3 years ago

I'd say no to be honest. The tricky part is ignoring the request. Bosses can get funky with this and wonder why they were ignored. Oh the joy of social media!

4. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

Not unless you're blood related.
    It's best to keep your professional life separate from your personal life. Your Facebook friends are likely to post things on your wall from time to time which may reflect negatively on you. As the old adage goes: "Birds of a feather flock together"
    Your boss may assume if these are the kind of people you are friends with then you too must be like them in many ways. Facebook should be similar to a place where you can "relax" and "let your hair down". You don't want to have to comb through your "wall" daily to make sure there are no postings or photos  that could have a negative impact on your career.

5. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

I wouldn't...because by taking note of what you post and what time you posted it, your boss would know how much time you spend screwing around on Facebook instead of working. Haha

6. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 3 years ago

Absolutely not. The correct place to friend your boss would be LinkedIn, which is for business connections. Facebook is for friends, and for blowing off steam about your coworkers and boss!

7. profile image54
    Nicole Nichols-Smposted 3 years ago

I used to be friends on FB with a coworker but once she became my boss I unfriended her because I need to be able to keep my personal life private. Which I am so glad I did that over a year ago as I am not feeling very comfortable at work and she isn't helping matters. She is actually behind some of my discomfort.

1. misterhollywood profile image95
      misterhollywoodposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Interesting story and one we can all learn from!

working