Time for a second chance? A personal problem..

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Syrusv37 profile image81
    Syrusv37posted 13 years ago

Time for a second chance? A personal problem..

I used to be very close with this girl, we also dated for a while until we realized we'd be better off as friends. Ever since high school ended we drifted apart and she's been doing things like coke, weed, and abusing alcohol. Recently she's contacted me saying she's been in the hospital for detoxing and wants to hang around with me because she knows I don't do drugs or drink much. However, I know her well and before, after detoxing, she would end up going back to using. It's been more than two years since we were close and she swears this time is different. Should I give her a second chance?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4360704_f260.jpg

2. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 13 years ago

Yes and a third and a fourth if you are a true friend. Love your friend but hate the addiction.

3. Just Ask Susan profile image89
    Just Ask Susanposted 13 years ago

Yes if you are a true friend that cares about her always give her the benefit of the doubt whether she uses again or not. Be there for her she needs you.

4. Amber4 profile image61
    Amber4posted 13 years ago

Absolutely.  And I'm sure it's no coindicidence that she has chosen you to "save her".

5. Ashantina profile image60
    Ashantinaposted 13 years ago

Before you let her in you need to [for your own sake] set boundaries. She sounds v emotional so its important that she does not become co-dependent on you. Thats when the energy feed begins and neither of you need that.
    You say you know her and that you think she'd go back to using.. well, it sounds like you lack confidence in her. And she will pick up on this if she hasn't already.
    What she needs is love support and guidance. She needs you or someone, to [show her how to] believe in herself again. If she doesn't find it in you then she'll go back to using or find someone who can really help her. However, bear in mind she is NOT your responsibility. It is 100% hers.
    Be honest with her, but set boundaries.

6. MickS profile image59
    MickSposted 13 years ago

Time after Time
    if you're lost you can look
    and you will find me
    time after time
    if you fall I will catch you
    I'll be waiting
    time after time
    Cyndia Lauper
    that is what lovers do, that is what friends do.

7. MrsNouman profile image60
    MrsNoumanposted 13 years ago

Absolutely, give her the benefit of the doubt.  When someone is in rehab/detox/recovery their first solution for not relapsing is to lose all the friends who use, and get in contact with old friends who don't use or make new friends.  She may have contacted you as part of her recovery process but don't be her enabler or fall weak to her request to do drugs or purchase them for her.  Also it is wise to keep a strictly platonic relationship with someone who is in rehab or recovery because they where so dependent on drugs to live and they need to learn how to become independent again and starting in a relationship while trying to recover is really frowned upon.

8. fucsia profile image59
    fucsiaposted 13 years ago

I think you can give her a second chance, but only if you really want.

9. awoodog profile image60
    awoodogposted 13 years ago

Friends help friends, if they don't accept the help you give or offer thats up to them. To sit back and watch and do nothing will tear you up inside. I know this from personal experience. You can only be supportive, and do your best to help her through the tough moments. I think thats what she needs. Being around someone who is not into that lifestyle, is something she needs as well. She cares enough to ask you to be there for her, it's a good start.

10. holyjeans30 profile image67
    holyjeans30posted 13 years ago

Okay, first of all, do you realize that the picture you've posted could be a huge trigger for a recovering addict? smile Just sayin.  You should absolutely give your friend a second chance.  A person doesn't relapse because they aren't serious about getting clean.  Addiction is a disease, whether people choose to believe that or not.  Getting sober in a controlled setting like rehab, as hard as it may be, is still the easiest part.  The hard part for your friend is staying clean once out of the facility where every day triggers can be overwhelming.  The fact that she reaches out to you is promising. Sick people NEED healthy people in their life at all times during the recovery process.  Everyone deserves a second chance, even a 3rd or 4th as long as they keep trying, as long as it isn't having a negative impact on your life.  This doesn't mean to enable them.  As one of the other readers stated, set boundaries, and stick to them. That seems cruel, but you can't help a sick person if helping them is dragging you down.  Many times, the only chance an addict has of getting clean, and turning their life around, is when they hit rock bottom of the rock bottom of THEIR rock bottom.  And as long as they continue to have help, WHILE THEY ARE USING, they won't see any reason to quit.  But as long as they are staying clean and making that effort, of course you want to be there and be a strong part of her support system.  I lost my kids 4 years ago next month because of drugs. That was MY rock bottom.  Did I relapse, yes I did.  Did I try again, yes I did. If I hadn't had my family, and my friends' support, there would have been many more relapses, or none at all because I may have just given up and kept using. If you're wondering, I did get custody of my kids back.  I got sober, went back to work as a nurse, paid for an attorney, and fought tooth and nail to get my life and my kids back.  So just always remember that your friendship and support is more vital to her than you realize.

11. internett1t3 profile image62
    internett1t3posted 13 years ago

Everybody deserve a second chance just give her another maybe this time it's true.

12. Edwin Chan profile image59
    Edwin Chanposted 13 years ago

yeah 2nd chance. What have you got to lose?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)