jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

A friend feels that "How are you?" "Fine thanks" is one of the glues holding soc

1. NonCopyBook profile image76
    NonCopyBookposted 2 years ago

A friend feels that "How are you?" "Fine thanks" is one of the glues holding society together but...

I prefer when meeting people or in general that we discuss other things without saying this robotic exchange... Others avoiding this social pleasantry? There are worse things in the world than politeness but rarely does someone answer honestly to this, and the body of the discussion itself should bring out whether they want to reveal what's worrying or pleasing them etc, rather than forcing them to say either "Fine thanks" or "Terrible!"

2. chuckandus6 profile image78
    chuckandus6posted 2 years ago

My sister in law and I start texts with the hi how are you?  but we are honest ,if she is having a bad day I try to cheer her up if something great happenss.I am happy for her.

1. NonCopyBook profile image76
      NonCopyBookposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I think the meaning can be different with new people (or essentially strangers like checkout servers who say "How are you?" without time for an answer..). I think it's good to check in with family that way..

2. chuckandus6 profile image78
      chuckandus6posted 2 years agoin reply to this

True at the store it is just something they are forced to do they normally don't care,

3. NonCopyBook profile image76
      NonCopyBookposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yeah- though when I worked at a department store including some work on checkouts I was compelled to speak with customers- but you couldn't really! A friend of mine lamented saying, "Do you have a rewards card/would you like one?" all day..It's life!

working