jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Why are some people the bearers of bad news that depress people and how to deal

1. brakel2 profile image80
    brakel2posted 2 years ago

Why are some people the bearers of bad news that depress people and how to deal with them?

These folks never have a positive word to say, and they may even be your family members.

2. lisavanvorst profile image78
    lisavanvorstposted 2 years ago

There are just some individuals that are full of negativity. Believe me I know. Everything out of his or her mouth is bad news, complaints, little faith etc. These type of individuals are hard to avoid, especially of they are family members. I feel that they themselves are so happy, that they honestly do not know any better and this is who they are. Just try to remain upbeat if you cannot avoid them.

brakel2posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Remaining upbeat sure surprises negative people. Thanks.

3. prettynutjob30 profile image90
    prettynutjob30posted 2 years ago

Some people are never happy, they could probably have everything they ever wanted, and still find things to complain about. I like to call them negative Nelly's, and the way I deal with them is by using my smile, and kindness, to drive them crazy. Most people only act like this because, they want to get a rise out of someone, but if they see if doesn't effect you, they find someone else to bother.

Smiling might stop a negative person in their tracks. Thanks.

2. Venkatachari M profile image43
      Venkatachari Mposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Great advice, Mary. You have said the correct thing. One should be as cool and indifferent at them. Then only will they stop and fold their tails.

4. B. Leekley profile image92
    B. Leekleyposted 2 years ago

Thank them. You can't do anything about bad news (for instance, "Your child is trapped up a tree by a bear") if you don't know about it.

Just say "thanks: to negative people and their comments sounds good to me.

5. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

People who are negative and "unhappy" cannot relate to joy.
    Some folks are just downright cynical about life in general.
    It's possible that as a child they were disappointed one too many times and decided never to get their hopes up again. If something good happens in their life they refuse to celebrate because it's only a matter of time before something bad happens.
    The only way to deal with such people is to distance yourself from them or limit whatever time you do spend with them. It's unrealistic to expect people to change unless it's something that (they) want to do.
    We're entitled to choose whom we spend our time with!

6. Venkatachari M profile image43
    Venkatachari Mposted 2 years ago

The best thing is to listen to them with indifference and try to change the topic also, if needs. When they find that you are as cool and not interested in their words, they will stop and retreat.
    If you get tense, it will give more advantage to them in prolonging the topic and to enjoy themselves. So, try to be cool and even smile or turn it into a joke. When they don't get the expected reaction from you, they will naturally become silent.

working