jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

How can you tell if someone is a habitual liar?

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 2 years ago

How can you tell if someone is a habitual liar?

Some people lie all the time to get what they want or create a false impression.
    It's difficult to tell unless you've caught them in a lie or two.
    How long do you stay friends with a habitual liar? What did you do?

2. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

He keeps giving the same excuses, repeat the same habits

Stacie Lposted 2 years agoin reply to this

It hard to deal with habitual lairs,especially if they are family members.

3. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

A habitual liar is someone you can't trust.
    I would not stay (friends) with anyone I didn't trust.
    Each of us gets to choose who we spend our time with.

That's true that each of us chooses to spend our time with and maybe cutting lairs off would help...

4. Edward J. Palumbo profile image86
    Edward J. Palumboposted 2 years ago

I would suggest you listen carefully. When someone discusses their past, a subject on which they would be well versed, they may change the details of chronology or circumstance in retelling. They may provide one version to you and a different one when speaking to someone else. Habitual liars frequently lose track of what they've said and to whom they've said it, so you may hear the "revised" version in subsequent discussion. Much like a false or exaggerated curriculum vitae, certain details will change in retelling. Over time, you will witness one event or another and, when describing it, the liar will color details differently.
    I place no reliance on habitual liars; their words are worthless, especially on issues that matter, and there is a manipulative element to their conversation. They're selling themselves, but it's false advertising. They made add just enough humility to appear credible, but there's an underlayer of duplicity.
    I can overlook the "sea stories" or the evolving description of the fish they've hooked, but on issues of greater importance or in written reports or testimony, their words are valueless. I do not trust liars nor do I put them in positions of trust. Credibility is a foundation of trust and friendship. Like many of us, I have seen my share of disappointments.

I guess it takes time to catch a good liar to tell if they are deceitful or not. If everyone would stop associating with a habitual liar then maybe they would stop...or just find more gullible people? Thanks for commenting. ;-)

working