jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do you deal with a habitual liar?

1. tisnotme profile image58
    tisnotmeposted 6 years ago

How do you deal with a habitual liar?

2. OriginArtz profile image55
    OriginArtzposted 6 years ago

Habits is hard to change, you need lots of efforts but the first step of the effort should be acknowledging the liar about his habits so that he knows that he lies habitually.

3. Lady MJ profile image76
    Lady MJposted 6 years ago

My first response naturally would to say "don't deal with it at all!". But sometimes that can not be the case.  I have dealt with this before myself and I have learned that people who lie try to justify the lie in a way they think it is better that way for sake of a person's or company's interest than tell the truth.  Communication of course is the best method. Find the root of the problem. Has this person been tested for bi polar disorder or another mental disorder?  Sometimes habitual lying stems from something bigger. As bad as it sounds in order to help someone you really need to make a big impact. If there is ever a point where you could catch them in a lie, confront them about it and watch their behavior. Whether it be fidgeting, pursing their lips, looking away, what ever it may be and that way when you recognize they are lying, instead of getting upset you can tell that its ok to tell the truth. Once they start feeling more comfortable with telling the truth it will be easier to break the habit.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Unless it is a family member, like your child, I would step away and not have any more contact with them.  You will only get hurt.  First of all a person that lies constantly will tear up your life, secondly, they have no morality because lying is wrong, and lastly, if they will lie to you, they do not respect you and respect among lovers or friends is essential.

5. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

You don't.
    All worthwhile relationships are built on a foundation of Honesty.
    Without honesty there can be no Trust.
    Why would anyone want to associate with people they can't trust? Sometimes you simply have to cut toxic people out of life.