How will you know when you've finally forgiven someone?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (35 posts)
  1. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 8 years ago

How will you know when you've finally forgiven someone?

Is it possible to forgive someone but still hate him or her?

2. profile image50
    Hussain Arif Aliposted 8 years ago

If the first thought about them whenever you encounter them does not remind you of that particular mistake they have made, then  you will know that you have forgiven them.

3. tsadjatko profile image65
    tsadjatkoposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12823207_f260.jpg

To forgive you must CHOOSE to release emotional guilt you place upon the other person but it's not a release of responsibility or absence of healthy boundaries. It doesn’t mean justice either, that is irrelevant, but it is a conscious choice to remove the right to get even from the person who injured you. It’s a release of anger and any bitterness or grudge.

Also forgiveness is not for the benefit of the person who injured you (although it might be of benefit to them) but it cleanses the forgiver's heart of vengeance, bitterness and ill will which opens their heart to evil. Once you understand this forgiveness is not so hard. Forgiveness in no way condones what a person may have done nor releases them from the consequences but removes you from the intention of consequences.

When someone injures us we can often wish harm upon them or hate them. This is normal, but it’s not part of the forgiveness process. You can still hate what they did but no longer hold it against them if you have truly forgiven them. Have you stopped looking for them to fail? If you have truly forgiven someone, then just like you would for anyone else, you would want them to succeed or at least do better in life. Forgiveness means you’ve stopped keeping a record of the person’s wrongs. That’s how believers respond to others. We consider their best interests.

Do you still think of getting even with the person? There may be consequences which need to come for this person and you may have to see them through to protect others, but does your heart want to hurt them? If it does, you have not forgiven them. If you still hate them you have not forgiven them.

Those struggling with forgiveness will most likely push back against it a bit, however, for your heart to completely heal, you eventually need to forgive the one who hurt you the most. Pray about it. Only you and God truly know if you have forgiven someone in your heart. Ask God to continue to work on your heart and remember what Jesus said as he was crucified for doing no wrong, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."

When you consider people who have done evil to you for which you have a hard time forgiving, odds are they know not what they are doing as the consequences for sin are dire.

1. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

You're damned right words have MEANING!!   Practice saying that & believing it...about 500 times a day  or until you actually understand what you just said!

2. tsadjatko profile image65
      tsadjatkoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes dear.

3. fpherj48 profile image60

smile

4. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12823309_f260.jpg

You'll know you have forgiven someone when you no longer dwell on what they did or said. If you "still hate" someone it means you're still "emotionally invested" in what took place in the past.
    The opposite of love is not hate. It's "indifference". No longer caring!
    When you get to a point where you have no emotional feelings towards a person to the point of them being a stranger or placed in a mental box to be discarded you'll know you're there.
    Forgiveness doesn't require you continue to associate with a person. It means you have decided you are no longer going to allow their actions to dwell on your mind any longer.
    To forgive is different from to forget.
    If a creditor "forgives a debt" it means they are no longer going to pursue you for the money. It also means they won't be extending you any loans. "Sometimes you win and sometimes you learn."
    Never forget the lessons you learn.
    Thus the adage: "Fool me once shame on you."
    "Fool me (twice) shame on me."
    Forgiveness removes the negative energy from your heart and mind.

1. tsadjatko profile image65

What exactly is negative energy? Just a phrase you created to express negative emotion or is it a measurable energy?

2. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Actually TSAD "negative energy" is not a "new term"! I can't take credit. Essentially it's the same as "toxic".
      If you're hating someone you're not exactly in a "positive" mood. Energy is a reference to the {feelings} inhabited.

3. tsadjatko profile image65

Then why don;t you just say that, why label emotions as energy when it isn't energy?

4. dashingscorpio profile image81

TSAD it's a very common term. It's no big deal to (me) personally. I just assumed the average person reading my comment would understand or be familiar with it's meaning. There are (many ways) to say the same thing. smile
      Have a great weekend!

5. tsadjatko profile image65

I know people describe emotions as positive or negative energy,I just wondered since you are1of those people if you could explain to me why you use a wordfrom physics to describe something that isn't what the word you use actually represents.

6. fpherj48 profile image60

Maybe I can HELP. Our Native tongue is amazing. Writers are wordsmiths & have artistic freedom to use it ALL. Words can be substituted, interchanged, multi-translated. "Expressions" are endless. Wanna explain "Lame Duck?" neither lame nor a duck!

7. tsadjatko profile image65

Well that might explain why Paula would use negative energy in place of emotion(do you do that?),but I wanted to know why DS uses that phrase because in physics energy cannot be created or destroyed&I don't see how that relates to emotions :-)

8. dashingscorpio profile image81

In theory thoughts/brain waves are described as energy/magnetic sources.
      When someone says "follow your heart" they don't literary mean (your heart is a mind) that deliberates but rather your instincts. HP Q&A isn't usually a scientific forum.

9. fpherj48 profile image60

T~Who could blame him if he doesn't answer U? U R Nit-picking needlessly, but 4 the pleasure it gives U to pressure & push people. DS can label emotions anyway he chooses! Emotions R energy, Mr. Spock! From pulpit to physics. Must U always PREACH

10. tsadjatko profile image65

Well excuse me for asking a question,Paula.I see acomparison of a lame duck to a politician who can't get anything done,neither can a lame duck.I don't see the similarity between emotions that can be created or disappear and energy which can't

11. fpherj48 profile image60

Well...Open up your closed mind & let your imagination fly free. Spend less time looking to pick a fight or trying to prove UR smarter than the ave. guy. It becomes annoying, NOREEN! UR impossible!

12. tsadjatko profile image65

Well, I think I have proven to you of all people that I can let my imagination fly free. That doesn't mean I forget that words have meaning. There is no shortage of imagination around here, a big shortage of reality when it comes to expression.

13. fpherj48 profile image60

Ok all right, you're 100% correct in all that you say, T....really.  Seriously, Have no idea how I could be so confused that I lost track of your supreme knowledge, wisdom & command of all words that should & should NOT be used. OH  FORGIVE M

14. tsadjatko profile image65

If this is about this Q&A,I'm sorry but DS had an excellent Answer but for me it was ruined simply by the use of the words"negative energy from your heart and mind"because energy isn't positive or negative nor removable.It sounds new age.

15. fpherj48 profile image60

How sad you allow so little & so unimportant an issue to "ruin" things for you.Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder? Inability to relax & simply enjoy w/o tearing apart every word & insisting there's always "something" WRONG w/ OTHERS..not U? Ju

16. tsadjatko profile image65

I'm sorry I don't conform to your standard, or is it lack of standards. How sad that you should look at it that way.

17. fpherj48 profile image60

Oh certainly "T," it has to be my LACK of standards! (words have meaning?) Ask ur JW buddy, Looney Tunes Noreen.She's got me pegged as paid advocate for Satan.She needs to brace her crazy self 4 a pitchfork up her PATHOLOGICAL ASS. She's just NUTS!

18. tsadjatko profile image65

JW's are a cult, their history is all over the internet,not opinion fact!  So to stay in that there is a big cognitive problem as you can see. She's not my buddy,why would you say that, to smear me with her?What's she have to do with thisQ&A?

19. fpherj48 profile image60

I am so glad you asked.  I have a clear and painful answer for you.  Check your email, dear F R I E N D................

5. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

Dashing....I'm not surprised at all that you are the very first person to convey thoughts/opinions on this specific topic, very similar to my own. I think it's fair to say there are a good number of people who see things the way we do, but simply don't discuss it for some reason.
    "Hate" is a powerful negative emotion and requires more effort than I care to waste on someone.  I prefer to erase them from my mind.  Surely most of us have heard it said, (to encourage individuals to "forgive,")...."To forgive someone does not mean you must FORGET."   Really?  That's one of the lamest statements I've ever heard in my life.  Actually, I want to say, "STUPID."   I say this because I'm a realistic, common sense, cut to the chase sort of person.  Please do not parse words with me nor play silly "word games." 
    Having given my opinion on that, I need to explain that only the people in my life who matter to me can hurt me. I can be crushed by someone I love and left feeling terribly sad by anyone closely involved in my life.  For those very special people, my sincere and unconditional love for them carries with it an auto-forgive & forget button.  I doubt I need to explain this in detail.  Anyone who loves unconditionally understands me. Forgiveness is present immediately. No doubt, no question, no hesitation.

As for others....I'm afraid they cannot hurt me.  They can however, piss me off to varying degrees. I don't hate them, I don't wish them ill will, I can't be bothered to glance at them over my shoulder, after I step over them. I don't need to keep track of what they do or don't do, simply because I honestly don't give a damn what they do.
    I wish them no harm and I wish them no joy. They are NO ONE. No need whatsoever to forgive them when it's a simple one step action to FORGET them.  They no longer exist to me and I can assure you, they'll not get a 2nd chance to attempt to do me (OR a loved one) some sort of harm.  How much easier can it be?  Just turn around, walk away, hold your head high & forget the nasty schmuck.  We do not need that type in our lives.  Well, I should speak for myself..  I don't need them.  SHOO!  Go away!  Go on...GIT!!!!   I trust I've made myself clear.
    I am always impressed with your voice of reason, Dashing.  Paula

1. dashingscorpio profile image81

Thanks Paula!
      Have a great weekend!

6. tsmog profile image85
    tsmogposted 8 years ago

I see it that time arrives when I have forgiven myself for not forgiving someone. That may be a few moments to years. Also, I believe to forgive does not mean to condone. I may forgive someone in a few moments while never condone.

7. clivewilliams profile image73
    clivewilliamsposted 8 years ago

When what you have forgiven them for no longer matters to you

8. profile image58
    jerrycarmanposted 8 years ago

When they come to you looking for advice. Then give them the right hand and give them the right answer.

9. tom105 profile image63
    tom105posted 8 years ago

you only know that you've forgiven someone when you don't feel bad to see them,talk about the issue then smile and laugh about it and you  don't seek revenge

10. profile image53
    Canucks goalposted 8 years ago

When you let go of any negative emotions such as revenge and anger towards the individual or individuals that hurt you. The offender wont occupy your thoughts as much, and you may even wish the offender well.

11. Sgt Prepper profile image59
    Sgt Prepperposted 8 years ago

When you no longer toss & turn at night thinking over and over again how you should have caused them great bodily harm

12. profile image52
    Draimposted 8 years ago

Yes but I did Aansy Nafl to me and I will be someone warned him not to reality in the same place once Akhara

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)