jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What do you think of making friends over the internet?

1. MartinKing profile image56
    MartinKingposted 2 years ago

What do you think of making friends over the internet?

What's your opinion on the whole matter?

Do you think it's best to just assume that everyone on the internet is a pedophile just to stay on the safe side? To make friendly conversation with people, but don't get *too* friendly? Do you think it's possible to be so confident that a person on the internet is exactly who they say they are that you feel safe adding them on sites like Facebook, telling them where you live, or even meeting them in person? Do you find it creepy that people can actually become friends with random strangers on social networks? Have you ever become really good friend

2. Aime F profile image84
    Aime Fposted 2 years ago

I have met (in person) probably about 50 people that I've met online and believe it or not, every single one of them has been exactly who they said they were. 

Everyone you meet, even someone you meet in person, is a perfectly random stranger until you meet them.  You could run into a pedophile on the street tomorrow.

Yes, it's easier to be anonymous on the Internet, but I think a lot of times all it takes is common sense to determine whether they're lying about something significant.  I have a few people I've never met on my Facebook but only after talking to them very frequently on some other platform, seeing lots of pictures of themselves/their families, etc.  Given my experiences so far I don't have any reason to believe that a majority of the people online are lying about who they are, or doubt my judgment in determining in who's legit and who's not.

I've met some of my favourite people online, people that I talk to every day and hang out with in person quite often, and the opportunity to connect with people based on similar interests and personalities has made my life a lot better, I'd say!

3. profile image0
    candyhippieposted 2 years ago

I think it's great! I've made friends online all my life. I even met my fiancee online. We've been living together for a few years now.

But I'll also say that it's getting harder to make friends online because there are just so many people. A lot of forums are just too populated and spacious for friendships to grow naturally in them. Giant social media platforms like Twitter can stop us from seeing one another twice, and so we drift past one another like strangers on the bus.

4. manatita44 profile image82
    manatita44posted 2 years ago

Not so strange like say 15 years ago. The world is changing very fast, and the internet is now full of very wholesome dating sites. We also need it for lots of things. I am a nurse, and just yesterday I was doing courses in updating patient info, while they are lying on a bed next to me. The old system of paperwork and friendly conversation is diminishing.

Back to your question. Yes, I feel it is necessary to advise caution, to be careful ...but like in everyday life, it is almost impossible to live without some form of trust. Both danger and opportunity can lie in the same boat, but we will have to stretch our hands down, like the snake-charmer, at some point. So acquire his skills.