jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you maintain/handle all your finances with or independently from your spouse

1. Ramona27 profile image73
    Ramona27posted 13 months ago

Do you maintain/handle all your finances with or independently from your spouse ?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 13 months ago

We each pay for certain household bills/utilities and have our own individual credit cards, car payments, and other expenses we independently handle.
    It's been 10 years and we've never had an argument over money! Note: Both of us are fairly practical.
    We mainly splurge on our vacations.
    However we pay for them in advance though.

3. Aime F profile image85
    Aime Fposted 13 months ago

We have our own separate bank accounts and credit cards, and we split the costs for bills.  But it's never an issue if one of us needs the other to take an extra bill one month or something, we still consider it all "our" money.  I don't know why but I've always just really preferred managing my own money and finances.  It saves some potential arguments and judgment on who is spending how much on what as well.

4. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 13 months ago

You are married and living one life, and in most states, considered equally responsible for bills and debt.
    You should be handling all of the finances as a married couple unless the other person is an addict, gambler or mentally ill.

5. LoisRyan13903 profile image80
    LoisRyan13903posted 13 months ago

I keep a monthly budget for our shared bills-mortgage, cable, electric, water, car insurance, medical.  Each week I transfer my share of those payments into our joint account (I do have a separate checking and savings account.  When the bill is due, I take the money and pay it.  We have our own bills that we pay-we both pay our own car payments and I have a couple credit cards that I pay.  Sometimes the money is tight either on one end or the other but on weeks when one of us is unable to pay thier share, we usually make it up the next week.

He does sometimes whine when he has to pay his share but I put my foot down and I always make sure that I get my share of the income tax refund