jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus

1. andycool profile image72
    andycoolposted 6 years ago

"Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" is written by famous relationship counselor John Gray. The book takes the position that women and men are as different as beings from different planets and likens them to the classical Roman god Mars and goddess Venus.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5458736_f248.jpg

One example of the theories Gray offers is that men complain about problems because they are asking for solutions while women complain about problems because they want their problems to be acknowledged.

Gray writes that men and women each monitor the amount of  "give and take" in a relationship and if the balance becomes off and one person feels they have given more than they have been given to, resentment develops. He states that this is the time when communication is very important to help bring the relationship back into balance.

We always believe that there should be no "give and take" mechanism in true love... but the real world is different. In a relationship "give and take" certainly plays a role. What's your take on this and what's your thinking how men and women are different?

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

Women are very definitely very weird creatures and likely did indeed come from another planet. smile

Give and take are certainly necessary in the real world, but if either person demands that it be exactly equal the relationship will fail.  People weight that give and take differently; while one may feel they "gave" a lot the other may think they only "took" a little.  One must be willing, in general, to give more than take; if both feel that way things will likely work out very well.

Things can't, of course, get too far out of balance, but both usually feel like they give more than take and need to understand that that's OK.  It's what love is about.

andycoolposted 6 years ago in reply to this

"One must be willing, in general, to give more than take; if both feel that way things will likely work out very well." I really appreciate this view and think this is the only solution to overcome differences in a relationship. smile

2. princess g profile image61
      princess gposted 6 years ago in reply to this

weird is good, right:)

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well, it would certainly be a dull place without them.  They also add a lot of beauty to the world with the bikinis and "Daisy Dukes". smile  Guys don't look so good in either one...

3. Greek One profile image77
    Greek Oneposted 6 years ago

My ex told me I should "go back and hide inside Uranus"

andycoolposted 6 years ago in reply to this

My ex told me I should go back to hide in Pluto... I told her Pluto is no longer a planet and it was separated from the solar system on the same day we separated! wink

4. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 6 years ago

But now we are on Earth and should be cooperative - together.

5. andycool profile image72
    andycoolposted 6 years ago

Why men and women are so different? Because men are driven by testosterone and women by progesterone and estrogen! But the magic lies in the difference in a heterosexual relationship... what do you think?

Please share how your man or woman is different from you and how this difference adds spice in your relationship! smile

6. Lisa HW profile image81
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

I read that book when it came out.  Based on what I have seen in people and on the list of "men-associated" and "women-associated" ways of thinking/communicating, I found it to be baloney (or at least blanket generalizations that far from apply to a lot of the people I know - and far too many of them to write off my own observations as "just exceptions here or there").

working