What would Jesus' return mean or prove? Probably nothing.

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Sonneborn profile image59
    Sonnebornposted 11 years ago

This actually applies to any religion's main deities but let's say good ol' Jesus very blatantly came to earth tomorrow and said (in every language at once) "Hey everybody, looks like the Christians were right and I'm real."  Obviously this would cause worldwide hysteria and chaos for days, but after that died down what would come out of his return?  My argument is that nothing would ultimately come out of it.  All that would happen is all of the stubborn people from other religions would keep being stubborn and not believe it and call him an impostor and try to kill him and all that good stuff.  It would also prove that Christians were right, but really the only thing they would be uniquely right about is his existence.  All of the other things that Christianity is good for like being a good person have been known by most religions for pretty much ever so it's not like he could really teach us anything.  Also, it would still not explain anything about what the hell life is anyway because then what the hell is Jesus?  It would still not make any sense.  The Christian extremists would just be even more pompous and try to take over the world or something.  Thoughts?

1. ptosis profile image66
      ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is there going to be an echo involved? Like at the Woodstock concert? Or is this in a very booming esperanto that makes everybody go deaf?

Or is this going to be a time zone thing done in stages? Or latency times between the orbiting satellites going to be factored in  on the "at once" business?

Sonnebornposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Haha I don't know how whoever came to visit would do it.  But for the sake of simplicity, everyone would find out at once somehow, not really sure how though.  I'll leave that up to the higher being to decide.

1. ptosis profile image66
          ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It could be the "100th monkey" thing where communication is suddenly common knowledge to all.

"The hundredth monkey phenomenon refers to a sudden spontaneous and mysterious leap of consciousness achieved when an allegedly "critical mass" point is reached." - http://skepdic.com/monkey.html

But not likely.  When the twin towers fell, people were calling other people to turn on the TV.

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If it was so obvious as to be well beyond a shadow of a doubt Jesus (or any other deity) was in fact our deity, personal savior and lord, I simply would have no choice but to be entirely honest by becoming a devout Christian. If it was indeed that the entire purpose of my life was to serve, honor and obey Him, I would change my life instantly to reflect that. I would leave all my possessions, family and friends so as to be at His side night and day fighting my personal interpretation of evil wherever and whenever it reels it's ugly head, in a constant state of vigilance, sword and shield in hand. To kill and to die for Him is my one admonishment of this physical world and an honorable duty of the highest degree in the spiritual realm.

I would no longer be concerned with my life here on earth because I would understand it is merely an insignificant stepping stone to an eternal afterlife,  would understand that commanded reward and punishment is the system by which I must live my life and that punishment is usually death and hellfire, hence would never have to worry about morals or ethics,  would understand that anyone who didn't share my love for Jesus was evil and a minion of Satan to be feared as enemies.

Of course, now that Jesus is actually here, He can fulfill his prophecies and rid us from Satan and all his evil minions by taking us to Heaven where we can serve our lord and master... forever and ever. Amen.

3. profile image0
      jomineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you are right, unless he made them immune to hunger, thirst and the need to mate, life will continue as usual. If he made them immune to all these, after sometime people will kill Jesus again to escape from the boredom.
      Any how, the number of babbling Xtians will increase for sure....

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

Is this a joke? You're saying that a guy who walked the earth over two thousand years ago suddenly appears in the flesh and it wouldn't have life changing and earth shattering consequences? I think it would change the world as we know it.

I think you are missing my point.  I absolutely acknowledge that it would change the world, it would be the single most unbelievable thing to ever happen in the history of humanity and the world would be in a state of 'what the....' for a long time.  I'm just saying that it would not prove anything.  Basically what I'm saying is that I would still be a skeptic.  And eventually we would have to get back to our lives unless whoever came down gave us all billions of dollars.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I didn't miss your point. I ignored it, basically. You should have left it at that. Money is all that motivates you? I hope you aren't vying for the atheist poster boy position. That is terrible for advertising. I have more respect for humanity than to believe proof of life beyond death would mean nothing without a payoff attached.

I suppose there are those who would assume they could pay science to help them achieve spiritual status more quickly, but I guess that state would be akin to hell for them. What with no pockets for their precious money.

Well I never said I was an atheist and even if I was I would never advertise for it.  I was just randomly thinking about this the other day and this is what I believe.  Also, you are totally taking my money statement out of context and calling me a greedy bastard for no reason at all.  I just meant that we would have to get back to our lives eventually because we would all need to get back to our jobs to make the world work.  Obviously I have made you pretty upset with this thread and I'm sorry that you feel that way, it was just a statement of a thought that I had that I was hoping would spark conversation, not people bashing me for having an opinion.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
            Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry - you have just been trolled. That one simply attacks anyone and anything on any side of the fence.

In any case - I beg to differ with your OP. If there was an unambiguous arrival of the Invisible Super Being in the form of Jesus - no doubt it would give clear instructions as to what the deal was and we could all get on and do as we were instructed.

Unlike the first time, which caused nothing but trouble. wink

I mean - it couldn't just say "the Christians were right," seeing as we have 40,000 denominations - and even the Mormons call themselves Christians and they believe all sorts of nonsense.

Yeah I agree with your last point but I just meant  that they would be right about the existence of Jesus.  Unfortunately I am enough of a stubborn skeptic to say that if whatever came down to earth gave a bunch of instructions and acted like it knew everything about the universe I still wouldn't believe it.  I just would not be able to believe that it knows everything about everything  because I really don't think that is possible.  Either way I would totally follow the instructions in case it wanted to vaporize me for not following them or something, which I guess would make me pretty religious at that point.  Doh!

lol

I think the key term was "unambiguous." I know I could be convinced. Still - as long as you did as you were told - job done. big_smile

2. profile image0

You shouldn't use words you don't understand the definition of. There was nothing off topic or inflammatory in my post, so calling me a troll is tantamount to trolling. Learn to speak and understand English. It helps when posting.

As I said......

1. profile image0

You are the troll. As usual. This is my last exchange with you. You offer nothing but attempts to ridicule opinions that deviate from your own.

LAWL

2. A Troubled Man profile image59

I'm actually interested in hearing that line of thought. How much would the world change?

Would we be rid of hunger, pestilence, disease, for example? In other words, what would Jesus actually do once he arrived? Would he use his power to fix our problems?

The thing is that the OP makes a good point in what the appearance of Jesus will or will not actually have as an effect to change. Much of that may very well rely on what Jesus does next. Obviously, if He suddenly appeared, He may very well decide earth shattering consequences for us, otherwise, why would He show up in the first place?

1. profile image0

What Jesus does next isn’t the point, in my opinion. I suppose it could easily be argued that the world would initially react in panic. Doesn’t Revelations say his reappearance will mark the end of our world? Or something like that? But, I guess we’d know pretty fast if his appearance was the precursor of earth shattering consequences by his hand.

But, think about it from a simple angle of… he appears. We have no doubt that he is who he says he is. Even if he did nothing else; what his appearance, in and of itself, would teach us is priceless. We aren’t alone. Life goes on after this reality. There is another world beyond the one we see.

You ask if he would fix our problems. Jesus didn’t fix any of the problems you mentioned the first time around. Why are you insisting that he do it now; if he showed up? If you are looking for a free ride, for someone to solve the problems we have created, and the problems that naturally arise in the course of life on earth; then the OP is probably correct. You wouldn’t see any change because you wouldn’t be changed and you wouldn’t contribute to the change. You’d still be looking for someone else to take care of you and create your utopia for you; without putting out any effort of your own. And every person with the same attitude would ensure that we never saw the change we could so easily create.

The whole point of Jesus’ original message was to change your heart. Change the way you see the world.  Change the way you interact with the world. Put the needs of others on the same footing with your own. How much hunger would exist worldwide, if we all did that? How much pestilence? How much disease?

How many more strides could we have taken to wipe all of these out if all of the resources we have wasted on war had instead been spent in pursuit of the good of all of humanity?  I believe we would see those strides if faith was replaced with knowledge.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59

Thank you, Emile. smile

3. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 11 years ago

that his first coming was flawed and he erred too much and was lousy enough to not finish his job....actually if u see jesus he is most "support needed" kind of entity.... right from krishna to moses to buddha to muhammad , all had huge fan following and all were pretty much accomplished in their onw life time...they were capable of defending themselves by sheer their logical power and charm ....jesus is only one who had to be protected by god....so he needs second coming ...

4. C-ing Eye profile image60
    C-ing Eyeposted 11 years ago

I see that you don't see. Jesus is coming back. It is not what you think at all.

He said, "But immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory.  And He will send forth His angels with a great trumpet and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other."

Yea I don't know.

5. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 11 years ago

Revelation chapter 20 and 21 and 22 will show you how this is to be done.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)