jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

the BIG question

1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8192499_f520.jpg
    Will there ever be COMPLETE CLASS equality in the future or will the socioeconomic classes be even more divided than they are at the present time? From where I see it, there is a bigger chasm mentally and psychologically among the socioeconomic classes. 

The wealthier class, the upper middle to the highest echelon upper classes are becoming more so with myriad educational and work opportunities abounding while the lower middle to middle middle classes are becoming more disenfranchised, some reaching the poverty level.  The lower classes in general are just falling through the cracks, becoming a permanent underclass, just mere human fodder for the prisons and military. Let's discuss this!
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8192538_f248.jpg

1. profile image0
      Deepes Mindposted 4 years agoin reply to this

No, at this time, I also cannot see a scenario where there will be equality between the economic classes. The primary reason for this (IMO) has to do with egocentrism.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 4 years ago

I can't imagine a scenario which would include complete class equality. However, we will eventually have to do something here in America. Disparity is becoming more painfully defined.  Economic slavery is becoming the norm for a greater number of people. Such sharp contrasts won't be born forever.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Exactly, something has definitely got to give either positively or negatively.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I think a temporary negative would eventually be a long term positive. Unfortunately, big money owns everything. Every movement for change is quickly bought out. Probably because people usually want change for the better individually. Few are truly concerned for the well being of others. We think we want equality, but many times what we want is to raise ourselves up economically. If we don't see personal gain with no down side, we don't lend our full support. Equality would mean give and take for all.

1. Disappearinghead profile image82
          Disappearingheadposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Please correct me if I'm wrong but what I've seen on Hubpages for the last three years is a longing for a past time America, something more Republican. Even Obama when compared to Western societies is actually right of centre. Now if the American dream is all about personal development, prosperity, reduction in taxation, small government and an anathema to the redistribution of wealth, then the answer is no, there never can be class equality. The American dream and culture by its very nature drives a stratification of the classes and a shift in the wealth upwards, not downwards.

Perhaps the best hope is that the middle classes getting pissed off with corporate America will turn to local coorporative community businesses to meet their needs. A desire to be become self sufficient in terms of food, energy, and banking might bring some change.

1. profile image0

Well, I bought a business in order to service the buy local sell local network. Because, I agree with your last sentiment.

But, don't paint America with a brush handed to you by the right wing conservatives. If you've noticed, they haven't done that well in national elections. They have big mouths, deep pockets and think they own the world; but, their days are numbered.

1. Disappearinghead profile image82
              Disappearingheadposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I admire your desire to service your local community via the business you bought. I seriously think that local community initiatives are an antidote to large corporations who only care about share holder value.

Mmm. Perhaps on this side of the pond we only get a filtered view of America.

It is a serious concern to us Europeans what happens to America because so much of the world depends upon your food exports, trade, and the state of your economy impacts the World. If America goes tits up through social unrest due to the huge inequalities in your society then the World will be in serious trouble.

1. profile image0

Yeh. I agree. You should read my charity page on our website. My son says it reads like a manifesto. I wrote it back in the stock market slump. A year before we finally acquired the property. I still feel the same way about big corporations.

I don't want to see any one else's economy suffer because of us, but I don't really think it would be entirely our fault. Everyone has bought into the system.  We are all, to some extent, owned by the big banks and multi national corporations. Money has become the primary motivation in life.  Sadly, we've watched them and followed their lead. I just think it is past the time to put things into perspective and lay some ground rules. We the people kind of moment.

3. janesix profile image61
    janesixposted 4 years ago

Things are about to change a lot sooner than you think. But to get better, the old has to die in order to bring in the new. It's going to be intense and ugly very soon.

working