jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Should cynical people be treated as mentally ill?

1. profile image62
    Ack Taneposted 23 months ago

They appear to believe they can read people's minds and that the future is utterly predictable.

2. Oztinato profile image83
    Oztinatoposted 22 months ago

Ethical problems are not mental problems. A greedy person for example is commiting a huge ethical error but they are not mentally ill. It is important not to give them any excuses for what are just bad morals/ethics. Cynics are just annoying/ petty and are at a low level of ethical behaviour.

1. profile image62
      Ack Taneposted 22 months ago in reply to this

But we live in a cynical society. You need to reach out and help cynical people before someone starts being cynical about them.

1. Oztinato profile image83
        Oztinatoposted 22 months ago in reply to this

Ah yes..humour..ar.ar.
        When we base humour on non sequitor reasoning it falls a little flat. ie being cynical about those who are cynical. I wasn't being cynical, just judgemental as the discussion is asking for answers and judgements.ie answering a question.

3. Michaela Osiecki profile image83
    Michaela Osieckiposted 22 months ago

I think it's difficult not to be cynical, for some people. They go through life watching the world slowly crumble and good people suffer. History repeats itself constantly and it's hard to see anything ever getting better. I tend to be pretty cynical about the outcome of things, but that's only because the pattern of misfortune tends to stick.

working