Why does God need money??

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)
  1. AshutoshJoshi06 profile image82
    AshutoshJoshi06posted 6 years ago

In the name of the almighty, across faiths, billions of dollars, assets etc are donated each year to these franchises.
    Even if we assume that this is genuinely meant for charitable purpose, how much of it actually manages to trickle down for the real purpose?
    Isn't it also unfair on God's part to demand tax exemptions, despite all these freewill donations?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 6 years agoin reply to this

So, in conclusion: God does not need the money, people do. Something wrong with that? Only when some lie, cheat, steal and take unfair advantage. neutral

AshutoshJoshi06posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for elaborating and yes ofcourse the conclusive argument.

I guess there is a definite problem. I mean I do understand the running cost and all but the draining bit, just too much. And then we also have these startups that spring up at every nook and corner. They too claim to spread the message of god and demanding money in return to fund their lavish lifestyle!!

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
          MizBejabbersposted 6 years agoin reply to this

And the constant mailouts I get each couple of weeks are killing our forests. Save a tree, folks, I can't contribute to all your causes. I have my own charities I prefer to give to, and they don't bug me to death. (Perhaps that's why I prefer them.}

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 6 years ago

You think God demands tax exemptions? You think all those freewill donations are enough to keep a parish, (*or church … not a "franchise,") operating so that it can fulfill its goodwill mission of bringing people the good news that God loves us and has rules of happiness to follow to make our lives meaningful and purposeful …
    without even charging?

Of course, if there were no churches we could sit for free in natural clearings playing guitars and flutes and singing psalms to God. That would be okay with me too. smile

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 6 years agoin reply to this

*franchise |ˈfranˌCHīz| noun
      1 an authorization granted by a government or company to an individual or group enabling them to carry out specified commercial activities, e.g., providing a broadcasting service or acting as an agent for a company's products.
      2 (usu. the franchise) the right to vote.
      verb
      grant a franchise to (an individual or group).

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 6 years ago

Of course, maybe some broadcast religious franchises took unfair advantage. Tammy Fae Bakker et al for instance. But then, she in now in …. heaven??? lol

"In 1989, Mr. Bakker was convicted of federal charges that he had bilked followers out of $158 million by offering lifetime vacations at Heritage USA while knowing he could not provide them and that he had diverted about $3.7 million to support an opulent lifestyle.

The scandals forced the Bakkers to shut down their PTL program and eventually lose Heritage Village through bankruptcy.

Mr. Bakker’s wife vowed to stand by her man. When he was found guilty of fraud and conspiracy, she appeared at a news conference and, in tears, sang, “On Christ the solid rock I stand/All other ground is sinking sand.”

Three years later, she divorced Mr. Bakker, who by then was serving a 45-year prison sentence. In 1993, she married Mr. Messner, a wealthy contractor and former business associate of Mr. Bakker. Mr. Bakker, whose sentence had been reduced, was paroled in 1994. In 1996, Mr. Messner was sentenced to 27 months in federal prison for bankruptcy fraud.

In the Bakkers’ heyday, they were criticized for their lavish homes and extravagant spending on items like matching Rolls-Royces and an air-conditioned dog house. Her troubles with drug dependency and depression made her a target of tabloid headlines."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/22/us/22bakker.html

4. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 6 years ago

God doesn't need money, greedy charlatans do. Look at all the big cathedrals, fine churches and other buildings such as mosques, temples, etc., many of which were built on the backs (tithes, taxes, slaves, lowly paid workers) of unfortunate people. Jesus had a few quotes on that, especially the one that the church was in the heart, not the building. You didn't say which "god", so I threw in some non-Christian ones, too.  Todays Christian churches do have some good programs for charity and youth that require money and volunteers, but they are also running private schools which are receiving vouchers from taxpayer money. Those definitely should not be tax exempt.

Also your last question:

"Isn't it also unfair on God's part to demand tax exemptions, despite all these freewill donations?"

First, I don't think that it is "God" who is doing the demanding. It is the so-called human "representatives of God." I say yes to that because Jesus also had something to say that went something like Render unto God what is God's and unto Caesar what is Caesar's. I find it hypocritical for religious organizations to hide behind 501(c)(3) Corporations, especially when this has turned into big business for them. I think another good question would be:  Should churches pay taxes on the "imaginary wages" of volunteers.

I don't understand, why should there be an exemption? Being funded and also being exmpted for what, spreading the word?? Charitable work is where that money supposed to go.
      I come from a "religiously obsessed" country, where these franchises, temples specifically rake in billions each year and so do the startups that use god as the idea to make in roads. But when it comes to giving back - zilch!!

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
        MizBejabbersposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Ash, I was saying Yes to your question "isn't it unfair...," not yes it should be exempt. I don't believe these organizations should be exempt, and, furthermore, I don't care how much charitable work they do. Sorry if I didn't make what I was saying plain enough.

That was definitely within my grasp! I just kind of went with the flow, didn't realize I was acknowledging the comment. Sorry about that and yes the feeling is mutual.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)