jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Can anyone explain to me why Americans are so hung up on God and Religion?

1. John Kelly profile image55
    John Kellyposted 8 years ago

Can anyone explain to me why Americans are so hung up on God and Religion?

I am Australian and it has been a source of interest how Americans seem to allow faith based answers to get in the way of plain common sense.

2. irstaxhelp profile image49
    irstaxhelpposted 8 years ago

When the Pilgrims had experienced their first successful harvest in the New World, they decided to give thanks for the Lord’s provision, even though half of them had died in the year since their arrival. Inviting the neighboring natives to join them, they held a three-day celebration patterned after their knowledge of the Feast of Tabernacles.  This was due to the fact that they wanted a place to exercise freedom of worship and believed America was gods answer.  So as the foundation of this country is Christianity it has stuck with us.

http://www.irstaxhelp.com
    http://www.leslieandassociates.com

3. KerryCarron profile image57
    KerryCarronposted 8 years ago

Speaking my opinion and mine alone, I would not call it "hung up."

The American heritage is Christian based. Our country was founded with deep Christian beliefs which formed American law as well as allowed for the basis of morals and values (although now-a-days that does seem a bit skewed). So does it seem that American's common sense has been skewed.

It does not surprise me when you question Americans that allow faith based answers to get in the way of common sense. I would speculate that those Americans you speak of are either lacking common sense or lacking the truth in their own belief in God; or both.

As my life progresses it has become very clear to me that my faith in God is very much in line with common sense.

As far as religion... for me religion is nothing more than man made systems that attempt to interpret Gods word. Americans will often hold fast to what they know (or think they know). And I am sure this is likely the case with any human. It is difficult to remove yourself from what you have been taught and seek the truth. It is much easier to just "go with what you are told".

4. profile image0
    roddmaposted 8 years ago

I have never seen such an interest in religion either. Probably the interest is because of three things 1) Internet-people of different faiths can interact and connect. Bloggers often tell how religion changes their lives 2)TV- Reality shows like  "18 Kids and Counting" which features a family who follow strict rules. Mainstream celebs have also turned to religion. People like to imitate celebs.Then the numerous religious channels available on satellite and cable. 3) Consequences of actions

5. Susana S profile image96
    Susana Sposted 8 years ago

Hi John, Good question! I expect Australians have a simliar viewpoint to the British, which is where I'm from. Looking across the pond as an observer it  does seem like American society has completely lost the plot in relation to their religious fervour! I wonder if Americans know this is how the rest of the world see them?!

I think it stems from the fact that a great deal of the early settlers from England were Puritans, who wanted to practice their religion without prejudice. So they moved to a new continent! Then of course there is the whole Mormon thing over there which has taken off big time.

I'm half Spanish and come from a very Catholic background. Even though Catholicism is big in the mediterranean it doesn't have the evangelical rightousness element that American Christianity seems to have and I think that's a good thing.

6. rvsource profile image55
    rvsourceposted 8 years ago

America is a very young nation. Our nation was founded and in the constitution is encripted with "In God We Trust."

So our familys over the years have passed it down to the children who in turn passed it down to their children. Its all we/they know. Now other countries have older cultures and other beliefs. Those beliefs aren't popular because they go against the way most think here. So there is never any change.

Many people are becoming wiser and more open minded. They have adopted a different way of thinking. Most refer to it as "New Age" when in fact it's beliefs that are old as mankind itself.

working