jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is it ever morally permissible to lie??

1. carolegalassi profile image59
    carolegalassiposted 8 years ago

Is it ever morally permissible to lie??

One of the 7 things God hates is a liar.  Is that all lies or only some of them?

2. Buzzy profile image52
    Buzzyposted 8 years ago

Hmmm very interesting question.  I do think sometimes, it is necessary to "fib" well, lie.  Sometimes not answering a question or opinion too can be construed as lying, but, I do believe that to avoid truly, and really hurting a party or causing more harm, than yes, I think that it is a good thing to lie and avoid the risk of causing a great hurt to the other party.

3. Cheeky Girl profile image72
    Cheeky Girlposted 8 years ago

Yes, look at doctors, they lie to patients all the time. A little boy asking the doctor "Am I gonna die, mister?" naaaw. Would you tell him he has days or hours to live? People are so uptight about the morality. What about the neccessity? Some p[eople can not handle the truth and lots of nus end up never been told it, sometimes for good reasons.

It's when they are bad reasons- then we go nuts!

4. RevLady profile image60
    RevLadyposted 8 years ago

Before God, a lie is a lie is a lie. There is no such things as a white lie, or a little baby lie, or a fib. We lie. It is the old nature in man that rationalizes his lies, but it remains a sin before God. There are no good reasons to lie except in the mind of man as clouded by Satan. His evil influence leads us to tell ourselves, we are lying for a good reason. Liars are of Satan for he is the Father of lies. He is behind making us think it is okay, just as he made Eve think eating the apple was okay. Blessings,

5. Larry Fields profile image78
    Larry Fieldsposted 6 years ago

I'd like to elaborate on carolegalassi's question.

One desperately wants a certain proposition to be true, for whatever reason. Then one deliberately cherry-picks websites (or other information sources), which will predictably validate that position, while avoiding any and all websites that are likely to have different perspectives. Then, on the basis of 'research' in any echo chamber, one shouts the foregone conclusion from the rooftops.

Yes, one is not knowingly spreading a falsehood. However one's choice to remain ignorant can have the same effect. Moreover the shrillness used in conveying the message is an indirect claim on having substantive knowledge on the question at hand.

In my opinion, that's morally equivalent to lying. What do you think?

working